Racking mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildozarkwine

Reaction score
I am making my first batch of traditional mead and am not sure how long to leave it in the primary. When making fruit wine I usually leave it in the primary for 1-2 weeks but am not sure with this mead because it seems to be a less vigorous ferment that I am used to.

Best bet is always to use a hydrometer to monitor it. That way you don't need to guess when it's time to transfer.

When I used my hydrometer it didnt sink at all. I seen on YouTube it sink a lil bit. But they were make reg grape wine. In my mead I put 18lbs honey and 3 and 2/3 gallons of water. I'm going for a sweet mead.

So the og would be around 1.124 then. It's not broken if it doesn't sink, it only sinks when the yeast are working

I don't rack for 3 months usually for things without fruits and non yeast sediments. It takes away an extra racking later on since after 3 months they are pretty clear.

Edit: Go by a hydrometer and test tube, you'll thank yourself later. Double edit: It also makes you look really smart in front of other people.

snuesen said:
So the og would be around 1.124 then. It's not broken if it doesn't sink, it only sinks when the yeast are working

Ok when I used it I hadn't pitched the yeast yet.

jc5066 said:
Good. You are supposed to take your OG before pitching yeast.

But what's the point if it don't sink till u pitch the yeast? I'm a noob I still got so much to learn.

But what's the point if it don't sink till u pitch the yeast? I'm a noob I still got so much to learn.
So you'd mix the must up, then before you add anything that might affect the measurement of original gravity (fruit pulp or any other type of particulates etc) you'd take a gravity reading so you know where it's starting at.

Most hydrometers are marked from 0.980 to about 1.150. If you dumped they device into the must and it's sitting at 1.150, then you're sure as hell informed that the must is gonna struggle to start fermenting.

Remember that wine yeast is likely to max out at about the 18% ABV mark (there's some that go above that and some can be "forced" stronger - generally with just fermentation 18% is generally the upper limit with a few exceptions).

18% ABV equates to 133 points gravity drop, whereas 1.000 up to 1.150 equates to 20.38% ABV and the logical extreme (seeing as a hydrometer marked from 1.150 down to 0.980) is 23.09% ABV, which is 170 points drop.

The stronger the brew (or the greedier the brewer or more weird their fantasy land ;) ) the harder it is too achieve with just regular techniques of fermentation.

So you need to take a measurement before pitch......

It also means that once you've pitched the yeast you can monitor it's progress and know where it's at for some of the stages of fermentation management (staggered nutrient addition etc).

One of the quickest ways of lowering your learning curve is research. One of the best places to learn is the Gotmead NewBee guide. Sure it's a bit of a read but it answers the vast majority of new mead maker questions - others you might think of ? well that's what the forums are for.........

Latest posts

Back