Racking Irish Red to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bake985

Reaction score
This past Saturday I brewed a NB Irish Red extract kit and used a yeast starter. It has been in primary for 5 days. No more foam and no more bubbles out of stopper. It is being kept at 63 degrees. I was wondering, without a hydrometer, if I can transfer to secondary after 1 week. I have the time this weekend to transfer and start another brew but wasn't sure. Directions said to keep in primary for 1-2 weeks. I know everyone says the longer in the primary the better but hoping to get a new brew going. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think it was Danstar Nottingham Ale dry yeast. Came with the kit

I've read a couple posts about people who transferred to secondary too early and it ended up with a stalled ferment or at least substantially slowed it. However I believe they still had krausen and racked anyway.

My personal opinion is play it safe and leave it for another week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

I am in a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. I would be transferring to a 5 gallon glass carboy. I haven't have krausen or active bubbles in about 36 hours.

Nottingham is generally a fast fermentor, and usually the beer starts to clear within a day or so of finishing active fermentation. I bet you've already seen some clearing, and if so, it's fine to rack it if you want.

Latest posts

Back