Racking for Secondary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pzimm585

Reaction score
I am currently brewing my first batch of mead, and believe it is ready to be racked.

About two gallons of must was made in a five gallon, and has been fermenting for about three weeks. I was planning on buying a two gallon carboy in order to transfer from the bucket without introducing any new air, however I have found a six gallon carboy for a better price, and decided to purchase that one instead.

It is now time to rack the mead into another container, and I am wondering if any problems will occur from using a six gallon carboy, for secondary fermentation of a two gallon batch?

Additionally, as this is my first run at brewing anything, any tips and suggestions about the fermentation process, both primary and secondary, will be greatly appreciated.

Bad idea to leave 2 gallons in a 6 gallon carboy. Better to use 2 small 1 gallon jugs, filled to the top.

32666480407_5677c4cf03_c.jpg

Back