Racking and Oxidizing..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h4rdluck

Reaction score
So i've brewed like 12 batches thus far, but i still consider myself quite a newb. I've had a number of successes and a few failures but all is well.

After my 4-5 batch i really just started to get annoyed with racking. So for the past 7 or so I haven't racked at all. I've either just tipped the carboy over and poured it into the bottling bucket, or dumped the fermentation bucket into the bottling bucket

I am able to leave most of the yeast cake behind in either case with little problems. The plastic fermenting buckets are much easier, and i usually get a little more trub pouring out the carboy.

Anyway, Its been 7 batches and honestly? I don't understand why anyone would rack unless they really wanted a clear beer. I only make stouts and thus far most everything has been very sucessful. I haven't had any beer that tastes "oxidized" like cardboard, and I've saved myself alot of trouble.

When I pour into the bottling bucket i obviously get a bit of foam (it looks like head!) in the bucket...I kept thinking if i got off flavors i would go back to racking, but so far...natta!

So whats the real deal with the racking? To me thus far it seems like a complete waste of time unless I was concerned about clarity of my beer.

If someone could explain why there is such a fear of oxidation when i obviously haven't experienced it...that would be great. Because rigth now i have some 4 month old beers that i did this method with and there are still no ofter affects of flavor and if anything the 4 month old stouts i just poured straight out are tasting even better as they age more.

Racking to a secondary is a hold-over from wine making, where it is very necessary. Most instructions for brewing still say to do it, but most homebrewers don't any more.

He's talking about racking to the bottling bucket, not secondary.

I say go for it, if you haven't noticed any oxidation. It's all about your personal enjoyment. Even if you do have some oxidation, but its so slight that you can't notice it (or its covered up by other flavors), then forget what the status quo is.

that being said, from my understanding of the science, pouring your carboy into your bottling bucket is the exact kind of agitation that would cause oxidation. But maybe you are pouring it slow enough, and maybe the internal CO2 of your beer is somehow preventing oxidation.....somebody with more science knowledge will probably set it straight....

Well I am really curious. Because racking (especially with just one person is a pain). I find that if you tip the carboy just right you can get it to POUR out...and not the Glug..backflow of o2...glug... backflow of o2 ... glug that you are suggesting. I make sure to get the angle just right so that everything pours out smooth and even.

Also after a few batches that didn't carb correct and the fact that I don't make light clear beers ever that I prefer to get mabe 1/6 to 1/8 of the yeast cake into my bottling bucket JUST to make sure theres enough yeasties in each bottle to ensure proper carbing. Because when i had 2 batches in a row not carb, and then i rebottled them with a tiny small beer making sure i got the small yeast cake into the bottling bucket they all carbed up perfectly. So I'm just over cautious now i guess.

If that works for you, that's fine. I can taste oxidation in some amounts, before it even gets into the bad "wet cardboard" or sherry taste. It's sort of a tingle on the edge of both sides of your tongue.

If your beer is coming out to your satisfaction, no need to change.

I think racking is a piece of cake, and probably easier for me than tipping over a full glass carboy anyway- so I don't have any reason to stop doing what I do, either. My beer turns out ok.

Latest posts

Back