Racking and Clarifying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTYankee

Reaction score
I'm a couple weeks into this, and the forums, FYI, have been a big help.
Right now I have a gallon brewing with Lalvin 71B and another with Safale US 05.
I previously bottled a Safale for experimental purposes.
The stuff is kind of cloudy, even what I put in the fridge or my cold pantry. I food processed the apples, added 3 parts water and one pound (dry weight of sugar) and pasteurized to 145 F. Both batches lost that really brown oxidized look of soft cider, but are goldish/yellow and not clear.

Is this suspended yeast?
Can/should I filter it?
My Safale is in a secondary right now and the Lalvin is two weeks old tomorrow, probably ready for racking into a secondary. In my prior experiments, I (one with bread yeast) I added sugar when I racked after two weeks and after cold crashing.

Is that advisable?

Thanks.

sounds like pectin. You needed to add Pectic Enzyme after the pasteurized liquid dropped below 130º F It works better when the liquid is warm but temps above 130º will break down the enzyme before it can do its job. I weight until the fermenter is warm to the touch but not hot that puts it at about 100º. (in fact while I am typing I am weighting for some cider to cool so I can add some pectic enzyme :)) Once the enzyme is added weight 12 hours and then pitch the yeast. I am not sure if adding the enzyme now after you are done fermenting will work or not.

Thanks. I'm not looking for the super clarified product of a commercial cider, especially since I'm working with my own pressing. This just seems a bit more clouded than it should.

Back