Racked to secondary and messed up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zappa42

Reaction score
OK, I think I made a big mistake. I racked to my secondary today and I was missing my racking cane so I just used my plastic tube. Problem was that it did reach to the botton of the carboy and made some splashing when it transfered. Is this going to ruin the beer? I know you are not suppose to be careful when racking not to disturb the beer but mine definatly got disturbed :(

I little bit isn't that bad, besides you are going to a secondary where the yeast is still working to remove the O2. Was your beer completely fermented or have you not taken a gravity sample yet?

You might get a bit of oxidation, but I doubt that your beer will be undrinkable.

Don't worry about it until you taste it...then it's too late to worry. :)

The beer was done fermenting, however it never reached the expected gravity. It was at 1.016 for 3 days in a row. The target was 1.011.

I tried to make the tube hit the side so the beer would run down in the carboy and not splash but I wasn't as successful as I wanted to be.

Yeah, no problems then until you definitely taste or smell one later. Beer is pretty forgiving, and you could even get a little more attenuation once you transfered. It has been known to happen when you rouse yeast. I take my FG sample once I am drinking my beer. This takes degassing, but I get an accurate attenuation of my beer. Sometimes I get another point of attenuation, or more. All in all, you are probably more than fine.

Back