Quite a low OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangecarr

Reaction score
Hi,

Yesterday I did my first extract brew (also using crystal malt). When I measured the OG, it was about 0.008 short, I'm at 1.046, instead of 1.054. I have already pitched the yeast, but I was thinking today that I should add some sugar to take it up.

Do you think I should leave it, and perhaps add sugar when it goes to secondary. Or should I top it up now, and if so could someone tell me the calculation to work out the amount of sugar needed.

Thanks

If you are doing an extract and steep and you have used the correct volumes then you can not come up short on the gravity.

You must be reading it wrong or not mix thoroughly enough.

I had to fudge it slightly, I was only going to do a 1 gallon batch so only bought 1 kg of extract. Then I decided to do 5 gallons instead but forgot to buy more extract. I steeped the grains first and when I realised I only had 1kg of extract I had to pour away 60% of the liquor, to do a 2 gallon batch (1kg of extract was enough for 2 gallons). This probably wasn't exact, which may account for the lower OG. But in this case, would it be wise to add more sugar or should I leave alone...?

Thanks

Back