Quit hatin on dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are only using a couple of varieties of dry yeast you are really limiting yourself. I make vials of yeast/glycerin/water to freeze. I have 13 varieties and 3 more in dry yeast for spur of the moment brews. I use both dry and liquid.

Us05 is great for APA's and AIPA's but if you wanted to brew a good Continental style, liquid is a must. (of course there are some dry yeasts that will do some of them.) There are more and more dry yeasts being produced so there are a lot more styles you can make as compared to just a few years ago.

But if you really want to explore a lot of styles liquid is a must and dry will be just as good for many styles. Go with what is best for your recipe!

So don't hate on dry yeast, but don't forget liquid either.

And I'd like to try offerings from those people, but they're not in my local shop yet. Maybe as a customer I should express my interest for more diversity in yeast. Sure, someone's Wit may be the same as someone else's, but competition breeds options... and I wouldn't mind standing on the curb watching a good ol' fashioned yeast price war.. :D

Of these, at least Gigayeast sells to retailers, though they are pretty pricy (as are most yeasts from the west coast for us - shipping is ridiculous!).

http://www.gigayeast.com/home-brew-retailers

Lots of good results with the Vermont IPA, and I will be trying out the lacto and Koelsch pretty soon.

When the last smack pack showed up DOA, I decided dry is the way to go in the Summer. Good thing I had some US-05 for just such an emergency. I don't have a LHBS so mail order is the way I roll. Liquid can't handle the heat.

In the last couple years I've started trying dry yeasts. WB-06 is my goto for hefe. I like the results far better than any liquid hefe I've used. I've tried S-04 and US-05 a few times and keep some in the fridge.
I have a batch fermenting with T-58 right now. It took off like a beast. I made a starter on that to see how it would work.

My LHBS has a couple brands of dry but so far, I've only used Fermentis. Otherwise, I use White Labs.

i mostly brew IPA's, Pale ales, stouts, brown ales, ambers and s-05 is my go to yeast for that. occassionaly will use s-04 as well. but i live in a warm climate and s-04 can get off if something goes wrong with temp control. s-05 is very forgiving so for me, that is why it is better than its liquid counterparts.
i also brew a lot of belgian ales. liquid for these. BUT I recently tried belle saison which is a dry strain. it is great.

I brew 2 gallon batches, so liquid yeast just isn't cost effective... I really don't want to harvest, so I just buy dry yeast...

S05 has been great.... not as big a fan of S04....

I did use Belle Saison for a Saison and it was great...... liked my beer more than two craft saisons I compared it with...

I have a hefe fermenting right now... I'm using the Mangrove Jack Bavarian Wheat.. I picked up several of their dry yeasts to try over the next few months.

Back