Quietest burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donshizzles

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi y'all! Getting back in the game after a few years away. Lost everything but my brewing equipment in a divorce. Had to downsize my operation from a garage converted to an all grain nano brewery to living in an apartment with the only space to brew a small balcony. I'm a little concerned about my burner being too loud for a small apartment set up. Last thing I need is to have my neighbors rat me out and get some heat from the complex for my set up. Im just wondering, in y'alls opinion what is the quietest burner out there I can get?

I wouldn't ever brew with gas and an open flame on an apartment balcony, but having said that the blichmann burners are the most quiet I've used and seen.

My first burner, a Bayou Classic SQ14, sounds like a jet taking off. I later bought the Blichmann and it is much quieter.

And yes, I think operating a gas burner on an apartment balcony is a really bad idea. Do you know someone who would let you brew in their garage?

Thanks guys! Yea I'm not really cool with using gas and an open flame on an apartment balcony either but I'm not sure what other options I have.

Check your lease and/or with your landlord. It could get you evicted.....

Most apartments will/can not allow, for insurance or local law reasons, BBQ's/propane burners on balconies.

You might have to put your sculpture on wheels and move it away from the building. Is there a clubhouse with a BBQ area?

Thanks guys! Yea I'm not really cool with using gas and an open flame on an apartment balcony either but I'm not sure what other options I have.

You will need to insulate the floor from the burner as well as not let it get to close to anything on the sides. Blichmann also makes taller legs for the burner, but starts to get pricy.

Ehh, I say go for it. Just be careful. Maybe I'm a little more cavalier than most? One of my buddies who pretty much taught me how to brew, when he first started he and a buddy were in an apartment and used to brew on their balcony. Thankfully never had any accidents. He laughs about it now, but says he had a neighbor below him who used to always come out on his balcony to smoke. They would always be right on top of him with gallons of scalding hot wort. He knows it coulda been bad had they had an accident. Honestly, if it was me, and it was my ONLY option, I'd still do it. Then again, I'm more of an "ask for forgiveness rather than permission" type of guy.

Check your lease and/or with your landlord. It could get you evicted.....
Most apartments will/can not allow, for insurance or local law reasons, BBQ's/propane burners on balconies.[...]

This is true. Fire codes generally frown on using propane on multi-story dwelling decks/balconies...

Cheers!

Ehh,but says he had a neighbor below him who used to always come out on his balcony to smoke. They would always be right on top of him with gallons of scalding hot wort.

I'm more of an "ask for forgiveness rather than permission" type of guy.

With the number of boil overs I have had I would not recommend the ask forgiveness route here. If ground level maybe.

A good boil over onto a person below could lead to prison. - say it was big enough to kill that person......

Electric.

Most local fire codes have strict fines about open flames within 20 to 50 feet of multi-family dwellings (apartments). Many start at $500 and come with an eviction.

One of my burners is a "Bayou Classic BG14 Banjo Burner 10 inch diameter"...
I have to look to see if it is lit... I cannot hear it.

Unless you're on the ground floor, I wouldn't even think to do any brewing on the balcony, propane or electric.

You're only option is to do partial mashes or small batches on the stove inside. The good thing about small batches is you have to brew more. That's a win-win if you like brewing as much as drinking (I know I do), plus you don't have to worry about any lawsuits from spilled wort on the neighbor(s) below you.

I'm allowed to have a grill on my second story wood deck (apartment) as long as I have a fire-marshal-approved grill mat, which I do. I figure if I can have a grill I can have a propane burner.

Latest posts

Back