Quick top for clearing out an immersion chiller...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J187

Reaction score
TIP***

I'm sure many of you have thought of this already, but if you have an air compressor, like for a pneumatic nailer, use this:

mm_p-C9KrIQyTcn6ky9luDQ.jpg

And blow out the tubing from one end. Takes two minutes to clear the chiller 100% of water. You can also use it to blow dry the outside of equipment.

I'm sure many of you have thought of this already, but if you have an air compressor, like for a pneumatic nailer, use this:

And blow out the tubing from one end. Takes two minutes to clear the chiller 100% of water. You can also use it to blow dry the outside of equipment.

Use it inside (for immersion chillers) but not for outside. Your compressor likely shoots a stream of compressor oil along with the air.

MC

Use it inside (for immersion chillers) but not for outside. Your compressor likely shoots a stream of compressor oil along with the air.

MC

Oil free, nail gun compressor. Good tip to watch out for though!

Here I just let it sit until next use. It's not going to affect anything except an accidental drip on the floor.

OK, you have my attention. What exactly are you putting through you IC? Something other than water?

Holding it upside down to drain from the hoses only take a few seconds. Not too worried about extra water left inside. Won't hurt anything.

OK, you have my attention. What exactly are you putting through you IC? Something other than water?

Just water. No need not to clear it out. I'd rather it not be dripping in my garage, on top of the other brewing supplies, maybe freezing in the winter, etc.

Some people prefer to have a nice clear chiller. If you don't, then don't clear yours. I like mine clear.

This isn't a bad idea at all. thanks for the tip.
Up to this point I just disconnect my "in" side and the "out" side continues to pull the water out.
I might have to give it a shot of air next time just to see if anything left inside it.

TIP***

I use this to blow the cleaner/water/sanitizer out of my pumps after I've cleaned them as well. I also use it to blow tubing dry after cleaning. This is one of the more unsung heroes of my brewing system.

Back