Quick starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayden512

Reaction score
Brewing a NE IPA tomorrow with Denny's favorite. Made a starter yesterday and was planning on crashing it tonight. However with it not being a very high fluctuating yeast I'd almost just rather pitch the whole starter. It's a 1L starter in a 5.5 gallon batch. Any chance of imparting off flavors from the starter beer?

Some say yes, some say no. I personally don't think 1L would affect it. I've done it several times and they turned out great.

Okay awesome. I think I'm going to. Plus with the amount of hops in this I feel like whatever it does should be pretty masked

Try to pitch a little high with this yeast if you can. I just finished a dark ale and a porter with this yeast, both finished higher than I wanted, took longer to get started and hardly any krausen. The dark ale pitch was slightly low, the porter pitch was done according to calculators.

Used it again on the weekend and did a big overpitch, it's giving much better / faster activity this time.

I always pitch the full starter (wort and yeast) as I feel it would be difficult to get the yeast out of the flask otherwise. I have pitched 1.5L starters in 5.5g batches and I haven't detected any off flavors.

Back