Quick Sour method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So....apart from the side stuff with the brewery (theyve been dragging their feet due to some managerial changes on the restaurant side of things and Im ready to move on to other things with other breweries), I think my idea to try and speed up sour character development worked. Note that NONE of this is exbeeriment level due to the total lack of a control and differing recipes.

So I brewed 2 sours with my sour blend, one piggybacked off the other sort of. I made a ~1.2L starter, let it go for 2 weeks. Tasted the starter wort, and it was nice and sour by then. I pitched about 2/3 of it (not decanted) into my first saison that had been going for a bit over a week. Then I just built the starter back up, and a few weeks later did the same thing with my second one. Here's the quick details:
#1 - brewed 7/1/15, soured 7/12/15, bottled 10/29/15
WY3711 & WLP566, decent amount of rye, some sugar
#2 - brewed 8/11/15, soured 8/20/15, bottled 11/9/15
WLP585, YB Wallonian Farmhouse, ~45% flaked wheat/oats, some sugar

Last night I had SWMBO try both sours side by side with me (shes more of a sour fan than me). #1 had a very nice rounded sourness. Like what youd buy off the shelf from JP, Crooked Stave, Prairie, etc. SWMBO liked the smell of that one more. But surprisingly, despite being younger, #2 was actually much more sour. Like mouthpuckering, coats your tongue and seems to seep into your lower jaw. I've only had a couple beers this sour before. SWMBO seemed to think this one had more complexity too, but Im thinking it might just be how long that amount of sourness lingers on your palate

anyway, my unscientific ignorant conclusion is that maybe the long starter helped #2 work faster. By the time I pitched it, it was 5-6 weeks old (although half was replaced with new wort). Now, if you include the long starter in the timeframe, its a bit less time saving, but it at least doesnt tie a fermentor up for as long. I dunno *shrug*

I did the same with the sours I recently bottled. I'll look at my notes to see how long those sour starters sat before pitching

How is the Brett character? Or are you only going for "sour"? Is the sour lactic or acetic?

Im not too good at descriptions, but its got a lot of brett flavors. Its far from a "clean" sourness. Smell is very barnyardy with a lot of lemon. Definitely lactic sourness and really deep, like when you take the first sip it coats the underside of your tongue and lower jaws. Then does something weird to your saliva glands I feel like. It sticks around for a while after each sip

Did this ever get brewed at your local brewery?

One of my 2 gallons of last year's sours did not make it. It was super thick and viscous, I think that means it was sick.. right? The other gallon was okay and got bottled.

I currently have 4 gallons in my closet. Hoping all 4 come out.

Back