Quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitty8202

Reaction score
Finally getting around to kegging my beer. Been super busy with work. It has been in the Carboy cold crashing for a little over a month I think. Is that too long? Everything is cleaned and about to sanitize everything. I plan on putting 40psi on it for a few days but my question is once at 40 psi do I leave the tank on or turn it off? I guess what would be the process for it.

A few days at 40 psi will probably leave it overcarbed, at least that's been my experience. I typically go 30 psi for a day and a half followed by lowering it to serving pressure of 10-12 psi. To answer your questions, though, no that's not too long for it to be crashing, especially if it's in secondary instead of primary, and you leave the tank valve open. If you shut the valve, the gas will diffuse into the beer and the pressure will rapidly decrease.

Better yet, crank the pressure up to 20-30, shake like hell for 4 or 5 minutes and then turn it down to serving pressure, let everything settle down for 12-24 hours (or not) and your good to go.

Better yet, crank the pressure up to 20-30, shake like hell for 4 or 5 minutes and then turn it down to serving pressure, let everything settle down for 12-24 hours (or not) and your good to go.

That's what I usually do.

Roll the keg back and forth with the gas post pointing up, between 10 and 2 o'clock, setting your regulator to 20 psi if the keg is cold, 30 psi when at room temps. Rock it like that until you don't hear any more gas streaming in, around 6-10 minutes. Put it back on its feet and in the keezer for a day, without connecting gas. Vent and reconnect gas at 8-12 psi, whatever your serving pressure is.

It may still have a bit of carbonic bite for a week, but will be very drinkable.

I connect at 30 psi, rock back and forth for 60 seconds once every hour or 2 and it is typically ready to drink within 6-7 hours. I then purge the excess gas and reduce the pressure to about 8psi

Put it on 12psi at 38*F and leave it for two weeks. It will be perfectly carbed.

Back