Quick question on premature racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_the_greek

Reaction score
So my wit that I started probably a week and a half or so ago started out on an off step, but the yeast went well. On the third day I think it stalled or at least it slowed incredibly significantly. I racked after a week and now believe I racked prematurely. There are now a decent ring of bubbles around the top of my carboy and its has a fairly steady amount of bubbles rising up its glass sides (way too entertaining to watch when you have nothing else to do). .I was actually worried this was an infection till I looked closely and saw they were bubbles. So have my yeast been budding or are the few that I racked over just working their butts off? I believe that they have reproduced because there looks like way too much trub compared to what I racked over. I have a few points to go till I reach my FG as stated in the recipe. Thanks for any advice/opinions.

Sounds like it's still fermenting. It should be fine. Next time, though, wait until you are at fg (or at least until a couple of points) before racking. Then you can move it to the conditioning tank to clear a bit.

You should always take a reading before transferring to know for sure if it is done. Actually, to be more accurate, you should take a series of readings over a couple of days to be sure. However, if you have some fermentation happening in secondary, it is no big deal, just give it some more time to clear.

every once it a while, it can be helpful to rack if a fermentation seems stuck at a gravity much higher than the expected final gravity. it mixes up fermentables and resuspends the yeast.

usually not necessary though.

what really surprised me was that despite leaving a giant yeast cake behind I have a large layer of junk already at the bottom of my carboy. my air lock however is not really bubbling despite the fact that I visibly see bubbles coming up the glass. perhaps I shall watch it closely for a few minutes and give the airlock a little push downwards. Should I wait till I no longer see bubbles before I take a gravity reading? I'm kind of anxious to get another little test taste (pretty bitter before but its my fault) and to see how long I have left before I can carbonate this baby :mug:

I agree- fermentation is now about finished and it needs to condition and clarify. If you stir it up, you'll just interfere with these processes. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to just have a homebrew and leave your carboy alone! I also agree with the two weeks- don't even touch it for two weeks. Then, check the s.g., rack and bottle!

Back