quick question, does kombucha go bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found a research article a few years ago when I was getting started and the biofilm had a bunch of fiber, protein and lots of other good stuff in it. That gross looking thing was the biggest hurdle for me to get over when I started brewing it so I decided to eat one. It actually reminded me of pineapple in both flavor and texture.

As for the booch going bad, I would have to say no. As long as it was well made and bottled, the pH should be low enough to keep anything from starting up in it. There's always lots of variables but from what I've found is that the pH drops down into the 2's and it's really hard to enjoy much of it when it goes that far. Usually time to start a new batch if it ever goes that far.

ok, thanks for the replies...Even you brad! 😘

i've been drinking hard 'seltzer' thought this was the closest comparison, ph gets down about to 3 i think, and a ABV of around 9%.....so i think i'm good...

Does kombucha ever go good?:barf:

Only had it once, and it didn't appeal to me.

i think the first time i had it was at work, asked the boss, "can i drink this at work?" he said yes, so i started making 10 gallon homebrew bucha batches and filling up gallon jugs for the work day! :mug:

Back