quick question about belgian white (pics included and video)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nos33

Reaction score
So this is my second batch of beer. My first was an Irish Stout I made from a kit i got at my LHBS. On that one there was a little bit of yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottles and I read that that was normal. My belgian white has been in bottles now for 19 days and i was checking them out and there seems to be a lot more sediment there. I know it is supposed to be a cloudy beer and just want to know if this is normal.

When i give it a good twirl, the sediment disappears into the beer and it looks better. I am currently drinking one of my brews and just chilling and I am sure that there is nothing to worry about but I am just curious if I will see this in the future as well. Here are the pics and the vid.

179090_1865041510973_1389069637_32154536_6126221_n.jpg

and another
163823_1865040710953_1389069637_32154535_1560568_n.jpg

and here is my youtube vid of it as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the yeast is in there and it's not going away. As long as you turn them upside down and shake them that's what you are going to get. It should get firmer in the bottom over time. Not really sure what you are asking, but the haze in a wit isn't supposed to be from shaking up the yeast.

My OG was 1.048 and FG was 1.010. Was there supposed to be that much yeast in there when it is "done"

If you dont want that dont shake them and after you chill them pour slowly if you dont want more yeast in your beer. It is good for you but it can change the taste and the clarity of your beer if you swirl and pour it in. Thats what bottle conditioned is.

My OG was 1.048 and FG was 1.010. Was there supposed to be that much yeast in there when it is "done"

Alot depends on how you bottled. Did you let it sit in primary long enough? When you racked to bottle did you avoid getting the yeast in the botteling bucket from the bottem. Did you just stir your priming sugar in your primary and bottle it?
I sometimes get almost quarter inch of yeast at the bottem of a few of my bottles

1 week 2 primary transferred to bottling bucked with dextrose and bottled. I won't worry about it. I was just not used to seeing that much yeast in the bottom. But I do remember hitting the bottom of the carboy with my racking cane a couple times during transfer so that is probably where the excess came from. Thanks for all your replies.

1 week 2 primary transferred to bottling bucked with dextrose and bottled. I won't worry about it. I was just not used to seeing that much yeast in the bottom. But I do remember hitting the bottom of the carboy with my racking cane a couple times during transfer so that is probably where the excess came from. Thanks for all your replies.

As far as clarity goes you could secondary thats mainly what its for but has been debated alot on here and is just as good to let your primary sit 4 weeks or you could even cold crash you beer right before botteling.

Latest posts

Back