Quick Poll: Which yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sendkyleanemail

Reaction score
I have 3 yeasts to choose from for today's brew. Which do you like best and why?

Grain Bill:
6 # Pilsner Malt
4 # White Wheat Malt
2 # CaraMunich Malt

Hop Schedule:
1 OZ Amarillo Pellets @ 60
1 OZ Amarillo Pellets @ 15
1 OZ Amarillo Pellets @ 10
1 OZ Amarillo Pellets @ 5

Yeast options:
Nottingham dry
Wyeast 1272
Wyeast 1275

Its almost a hoppy wheat....idk if stay away from english for this go cleaner....even though I almost always like the english strains this just seems like a bad choice....

yep.. looks like a WIPA, I'd go for a clean profile, 1272. I always have Saf-05 on hand in case I find myself in your situation - but to be honest if I'm brewing I think about the yeast along with the ingredients. If you're not thinking about your yeast two-three days ahead of time you may be doing your beers a disservice because you won't have time to make a starter.

Not to worry, Bruin, I have a fridge full of large yeast cultures that are ready to pitch, no starters needed. I have just been slacking off on harvesting the last few brews.

I have jars of 1275, 1272 and Nottingham right now. I have smack packs of 1056, 3711 and 1007. But those are scheduled for big starters to be split into halves: one for later use and one for immediate use.

Doing a Porter, Black IPA and a Saison, respectively, with those.

This WIPA was kind of an "impulse brew". A somewhat experimental grain bill (for me anyway).

1272 it is! About a half pint of good clean yeast!

Latest posts

Back