quick kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
is there a difference between carbing beer (set and forget) at serving temp and at room temp?

i noticed that my co2 tank reads 800 psi at room temp and about 650 at about 45 degrees. i started carbing on sunday night at room temp and now the kreezer is about 45 degrees.

should i be set the reg differently depending on the ambient temp?

Yes, you need to carbonate your beer based on the ambient temperature. Co2 dissolves easier with lower temperatures. There are several calculators out there and lots of info in the Stickies of the kegging forum on temperature/amount of PSI.

I just started kegging and I noticed the same drop in my tank PSI as well. After a little while, it popped back up

I wouldnt worry about it, just make sure your reg reads the correct pressure, if you are worried, purge the keg and allow it to repressurize at the correct temp. Either way, just pull a beer off every other day and lower your pressure to serving once you are satisfied with the carbonation level. Personally I dont really carb following all the "rules". I will put it on 30 psi for a week at room temp, then drop it to like 15psi till I have a spot in my kegerator. Sometimes its under carbed, rarely is it overcarbed. I just adjust the carb level once its being served to the level that im happy with, it takes a couple days but its kinda necessary when you only have two taps. The nice thing about carbing in a keg is you wont ruin your beer (over cabing in a bottle can really eff it up or make it go boom), it just might need to be adjusted once on tap. Once again, RDWHAHB!!! :)

Back