Quick Kegging / Carbonating question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflongo

Reaction score
Ok, I just finally kegged my very first beer. I was given a tank that was about 20% full. I went ahead and cleaned the pin lock, all the parts, sanitized them, replaced the seals, sanitized the keg, then filled it. I then set the psi around 5 psi, and purged it about 10 times or so, to purge the oxygen. I now have it in my fridge, and have it set a little over 25 psi, which I had planned to do for a day or two, then lower it. My tank is very low now.

So if I decide to swap the tank out tomorrow, should I go ahead and disconnect the gas tonight and leave the pressure in the keg in the fridge. Then tomorrow swap out the tank, purge the keg, hook up a new tank tomorrow, and start the carbonating again?

Are you sure the tank is almost out? Did you weigh it without the regulator and subtract the tare weigh stamped on there? Remember that the pressure in the tank doesn't tell you how much is left until it's almost empty. At refrigerator temps it will often read in the red on those gauges.

If you need to swap the tank, just swap the tank! No need to overthink it.

Are you sure the tank is almost out? Did you weigh it without the regulator and subtract the tare weigh stamped on there? Remember that the pressure in the tank doesn't tell you how much is left until it's almost empty. At refrigerator temps it will often read in the red on those gauges.

If you need to swap the tank, just swap the tank! No need to overthink it.

No I didn't weigh the tank, didn't think about it. I just know the regulator is close to reading zero, even before I put it in my fridge. If the tank does go empty, do I have to worry about reverse pressure, and have beer come back into the regulator?

Ok, and after having in the fridge for an hour or so at 25psi, I have noticed it has dropped to about 12 psi, so it must be running out. I went ahead and closed the valve, and disconnected the tank from the keg. I guess I'll leave it under pressure, and let it cool down even more in the fridge, then hook it up again tomorrow, if I dont' make it out tonight.

Also, when I hook it up again, should I purge the tank first?

I went ahead and took a quick break and went back to my LHBS to swap tanks. I purged the tank a little, and hooked it back up to 30 psi. Thanks for the reply above.

What type of beer are you trying to carbonate?
With your regulator set up at 30 PSI I'm afraid you might over carbonate your brew. Try using a carbonation chart to set up your regulator for the correct carbonation based on beer type and the temperature you're carbonating at and you should get good results.

30 psi for only 24 hrs, then I'm dropping it to around 12 psi.

This is for a smash beer. So basically a pale ale.

Hi jflongo,

Just curious on how your beer and it's carbonation turned out. Let us know if things worked out.

Ok, and after having in the fridge for an hour or so at 25psi, I have noticed it has dropped to about 12 psi, so it must be running out. I went ahead and closed the valve, and disconnected the tank from the keg. I guess I'll leave it under pressure, and let it cool down even more in the fridge, then hook it up again tomorrow, if I dont' make it out tonight.
Also, when I hook it up again, should I purge the tank first?

The pressure change is due to the temperature drop. That gauge reads the pressure in the keg and chilling the keg dropped that pressure. Unless the tank pressure gauge reads zero, your tank wasn't empty.

Edit: the keg only needs to be purged after it was filled or if you opened it after the initial purge. If it has remained sealed there's no reason to purge because no oxygen could have been introduced.

I would purge the gas lines after hooking up bottle again. Don't do it into the keg though. Use your finger to depress the poppet or use an extra QD.

Flask

The pressure change is due to the temperature drop. That gauge reads the pressure in the keg and chilling the keg dropped that pressure. Unless the tank pressure gauge reads zero, your tank wasn't empty.

Edit: the keg only needs to be purged after it was filled or if you opened it after the initial purge. If it has remained sealed there's no reason to purge because no oxygen could have been introduced.

The only reason I purge it again, is if it's at 30 psi in the tank, then I drop it to 12 psi on the regulator, is there a chance the pressure will push beer into the regulator?

The only reason I purge it again, is if it's at 30 psi in the tank, then I drop it to 12 psi on the regulator, is there a chance the pressure will push beer into the regulator?

Yes.

Hopefully you have check valves that are working properly, but it's never a bad idea to purge to reduce the pressure to reduce the chance of backflow.

Back