Quick hops sustitution question:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcoz

Reaction score
So I am brewing a big batch of Hefeweizen today, and I just realized I didn't get enough hallertau hops. I needed 2 oz not 1.

I have cascade, saaz, and northern brewer hops in the freezer, can any of these be substituted for the 1 ounce of hallertau I am missing?

If it is just for bittering, shouldn't matter too much - but I would use the Saaz as well.

If you have a smartphone, [ edit: not android, thanks Scruffy :)] there's a cute little app called Hopularity which details the characteristics of each hop and will suggest substitutes.

Saaz for sure -- although Bmorebrew is right that for bittering hops it is less important. One time I discovered the Hallertauers I had bought were really low alpha%, and I happened to have some extra Fuggles so I threw in half an ounce of those at the start of the boil just to get a little extra bitterness. Worked like a charm.

@BeerEagle: I'll have to check that out. Especially since my LHBS is wonky when it comes to their stock. (Edit: Bah! Scruffy dashes my hopes, as my phone's a Droid.. Hmmm, an unexploited market?)

jsweet said:
Saaz for sure -- although Bmorebrew is right that for bittering hops it is less important. One time I discovered the Hallertauers I had bought were really low alpha%, and I happened to have some extra Fuggles so I threw in half an ounce of those at the start of the boil just to get a little extra bitterness. Worked like a charm.

@BeerEagle: I'll have to check that out. Especially since my LHBS is wonky when it comes to their stock. (Edit: Bah! Scruffy dashes my hopes, as my phone's a Droid.. Hmmm, an unexploited market?)

Looks like a job for HBT! An android Hop & Malt characteristic app, let's throw in yeast strains too, make it better than those damn iphones.

Thanks guys, been busy getting everything going, just finally hit my mash temp, I'm an idiot and didn't check my recipe one last time, and thought my. Target mash temp was 162, instead of 152, which if it wasn't my second batch, would have seemed wrong right from the start, anyways, I added some ice and got it under control, but it mashed at 160 for a good 15-20 min, hope it will be alright, I don't know how much damage you can do there.

Anywho, Saaz it is, thanks for the help! And I'll check out that app too!

Scruffy1207 said:
Looks like a job for HBT! An android Hop & Malt characteristic app, let's throw in yeast strains too, make it better than those damn iphones.

Let's keep the silly smartphone os wars for other threads....lol. Anyways I happen to be lucky in that it's not the other way around, I have an iPhone.

Back