QUICK! HELP! Is my WL Yeast Sample Contaminated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imaguitargod

Reaction score
Never had this happen before. I picked up a sample of White Labs WLP013 London Ale for the American IPA I'm brewing tomorrow and the tube had a little brown layer (not even 1mm in depth) on the top of the sludge. I thought that was slightly odd.

I go and make the liquid for the starter and right before I pitch I shake up the yeast vial, cracked the top, it hissed and damn near over flowed. It actually looked carbonated. Is my sample contaminated with something nasty?!?!

I’m brewing my fresh hop IPA tomorrow and needed this and I really don’t want to risk spoiling a beer who’s hops I grew all year long. Anyone have this happen? The lot number is 1013ILT7746881 (not like that's goin gto help or anything). I pitched it into the starter just in case it's ok.

Well, I decided to throw that yeast out, didn't want to take a chance. Thanks to santacruzbob for posting! It's sad that no one else responded. Maybe I need to pay money and get an avater before people really start to pay attention to my questions.

Latest posts

Back