Quick Fermenting Ale and Yeast Reuse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limited

Reaction score
I'm considering brewing an ale with a very quick turnaround time (7-10 days). I currently have a hoppy IPA coming up on the end of primary that is sitting on some S-05.

Do you think that it would be better to pitch my "quick ale" onto the already lively yeast cake or to grab two packs of WLP-005, or something else similar?

I'm not sure how to balance out the flocculant properties of the different yeasts, with a colony thats already quite large and active.

Or maybe the high OG of the IPA (1.074) has already overworked that yeast?

Thanks!

If you only pitched one packet of S-05 into 5gal of 1.074 wort, I'd say its been stressed. I'm sure if you wanted you could re-use it and everything would be mostly fine, but those aren't ideal conditions.

I would also not pitch straight onto the yeast cake. Follow the yeast washing directions in this sub-forum.

Thanks! I did pitch 2 packs of S-05 into the original, so hopefully that pitch rate made for happier yeasts.

Thanks! I did pitch 2 packs of S-05 into the original, so hopefully that pitch rate made for happier yeasts.

Ok, in that case, go ahead and re-use. I re-use my dry yeast 4-5 times before dumping it. Follow mrmalty and yeastcalc to help you determine proper amounts.

I find its easiest and most effective to harvest yeast from a starter instead of the yeast cake. The yeast at the bottom after fermentation have been stressed and exposed to hop compounds. The yeast in your starter are as healthy as they can be. Just make a slightly bigger starter than you'll use, and take ~50ml or so to store. I like using Ball jam jars or re-using vials.

If the previous beer tastes good and the fermentation seemed normal, then just re-use the S-05. I assume the new beer is also somewhat hoppy? There will be some carry over of flavor. If you want the beer quickly, and have a clean ferment, I recommend starting the beer in the mid 60's and ramping it up to 70ish for the last day. With all that yeast from your last batch you will have a fair amount of heat created, so don't let it get too warm. Like m00ps said, ideally you have a clean starter, but I have racked many new beers on yeast cakes, and most have turned out fine...as long as they were similar styles of beer.

My experiences with quick turn around beers is that a big dose of English Ale or ESB yeast is the fastest turn around. These yeasts ferment fast and drop clear within 4 days at proper pitch rate, oxygenation and ferment temp.

Cheers, Tim

Back