Quick Ferm Chamber Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonhijack

Reaction score
So I just moved from my keezer to a new kegerator and want to use my keezer as a ferm chamber. It already has an analog Johnson temp controller hooked up to it, so what I wanted to know is during the hot summer months (it sits in the garage), can I just use the keezer/ferm chamber to keep my fermentor at 68 F? I recognize that it won't heat, but I think it might work for now during the warm weather.

I do have an STC temp controller which I will install into the keezer later this year, but I am having a hard time keeping my fermentor at its ideal temp (currently I am using water bath with ice packs to chill it down).

I think I understand what you are asking, and yes, you can use your keezer as a fermentation chamber. In fact, this would be the most popular way of controlling fermentation temps.

Yeah tyhe STC will work to turn on/off the frezer at regular intervals to keep the internal temp within a few degrees of whatever you set it at. This allows the freezer to be used to keep temps much higher than its normal setting range

Sorry for the confusion of my hasty post. I am going to install the STC at some point, but until I do, I want to use my existing Johnson controller to keep the keezer at 68. Is this going to work until the STC is installed? I know its not ideal, but I wanted to get my fermenter in the chamber sooner than later given how warm my garage is becoming.

Sorry for the confusion of my hasty post. I am going to install the STC at some point, but until I do, I want to use my existing Johnson controller to keep the keezer at 68. Is this going to work until the STC is installed? I know its not ideal, but I wanted to get my fermenter in the chamber sooner than later given how warm my garage is becoming.

Yes. In fact, I would say it is fairly close to ideal, as that is how my ferm chamber is set up. I have an A419 on it, but an STC is an equivalent, if not superior option. I live in Florida, so it is hot all the time and I don't need a heater. But a quick search of the forum and I am sure you will find a good heating solution. I think the preferred method around here is a light bulb in a paint can or a reptile warming stone.

Alright, the Johnson controller is working great at keeping my freezer/fermentation chamber right at 68f. Just in time too as it is getting super hot here. Since I don't need the heating side of the STC controller until the fall, I have time to figure out how to set it all up.

I switched over to my newly built STC-1000 temp controller and it is holding my fermenting Cascade IPA right at 65F. This will be my first truly temp controlled brew (used water bath and frozen water bottles in the past).

I moved the Cascade IPA out of the chamber and into a secondary. Hydro sample tasted so great! No off flavors (I have been fighting a banana flavor due to temp swings in my swamp cooler setup in the past), but this had none of that. It is dry hopping now in my house, and will go to the keg on Thursday. Hopefully I can get it carbed enough to drink this weekend. Meanwhile, my Citra IPA is now in the chamber :)

Back