Quick connect RTD probes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esmitee

Reaction score
mine unscrew once that collar is removed (that you already removed) sometimes there is a small set screw on the side as well that needs to be removed

That collar with the screw holes unscrews from the front. The wires are soldered to the plug. Resoldering is a bit of a challenge in that confined space but doable. It may be easier in the long run to cut the wire somewhere and soldering in an extension of sorts in the middle. At least with that technique you won't have to solder 3 terminals that are about 1/8 of an inch apart.

That collar with the screw holes unscrews from the front. The wires are soldered to the plug. Resoldering is a bit of a challenge in that confined space but doable. It may be easier in the long run to cut the wire somewhere and soldering in an extension of sorts in the middle. At least with that technique you won't have to solder 3 terminals that are about 1/8 of an inch apart.

You need to solder some of the ic chips I work with when repairing tvs. Then these connectors are a breeze! my biggest issue is at only age 39 im already finding its getting harder to hold the soldering gun steady.

Estimee, Remember to pay attention to which wire goes on which pin, they are labeled with tiny numbers.

Ok, you guys were spot on! Thank you. I did try un screwing it with my fingers, didnt work, but pliers and just a little nudge, wal la, unscrewed easy, BUT, this is what I found.
The 2 red wires are on 1 pin. Is this usually standard?
Thats kind of funny to see... Is that an "auberins" temp probe? I think the accuracy benefit of having a three wire pt100 would be lost that way but it looks like they are using cheaper 2 wire rtd's there?

Thats kind of funny to see... Is that an "auberins" temp probe? I think the accuracy benefit of having a three wire pt100 would be lost that way but it looks like they are using cheaper 2 wire rtd's there?

Still 3 wire. The two red wires are joined right before the probe. Resistance is measured for the length of the cable, but in this configuration does not measure resistance in the probe metallurgy and construction.

No Augie, not Auberins probes. I got them from ebay. China stuff.
So since they are wired like this, will it seriously affect the accuracy of them?
If so, should I re solder 1 of the red wires to the empty pin? Or just leave it as is?
I think many people (
I think I remember you suggesting the china probes in a post or 2 of yours) use these?

View attachment 1510514820877.jpg

View attachment 1510514831007.jpg

Yes I did I have two like that with no issues (4 pin connectors though). Btw auberins rtds are the same Chinese made probes they just order them to thier configuration..
For the record these aren't the ones I recommend.. I recommend the entirely different probes I also use with Teflon cables. Since the stainless cable is very low quality.
In any case according to shoo I'm mistaken and there's nothing wrong with that wiring configuration. I've never had a reason to pull my connectors apart at the probe end and just assumed the wires had separate connection points and only met at the probe.

I just confirmed my 4 pin connector version only uses 2 pins at that end as well and mine work fine so? My be someone can check auber sold one?

Excellent.And thanks for the info. I feel much better now, and I feel even really better now that you had personally checked one of your connectors. thanks a lot I appreciate it.
Oh, sorry, I just assumed the probes You suggested were the same. I guess I just remembered "CHINA" LOL

You need to solder some of the ic chips I work with when repairing tvs. Then these connectors are a breeze! my biggest issue is at only age 39 im already finding its getting harder to hold the soldering gun steady.

Estimee, Remember to pay attention to which wire goes on which pin, they are labeled with tiny numbers.

:off:

Yup, I'm 57 and I regret to inform you it's probably not going to get any better! Also, at 39 you're coming up on the age where many if not most folks start to need reading glasses, too. Can you say presbyopia?

Getting old s^cks, but it is far better than the alternative.

Back