quick 1st racking suggestion, filtering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corvato

Reaction score
about ready to rack my 1st large (5 gal) batch of hard cider
(I think its called racking when i bottle... still new to this so some terms might be not accurate)

its on its 2nd fermentation, but expect to have a fair amout of trub at the bottom still (probably messed around more than i should have).

i don't have a racking cane, or any other standard supplies yet, so i am curious the easiest way to make sure what i get in my bottles is fairly clear.

I have thought i have 2 funnels that fit together, that i can wedge some cheesecloth between. I also have some huge metal funnel thing with small holes in the side, i think it was used to make fruit jelly/jam, that i was thinking i could suspend the cheescloth overtop of.

i was thinking coffee filters, but heard its too good at keeping out the yeast i would need to prime the cider.

i was planning on dumping it from my 5 gal pail, into a large square container, so i can use the corner to more accurately pour into the funnel or filter, whatever i figure how to do.

Without a racking cane or siphon set up, you'll aerate the heck of of that batch and maybe render it undrinkable. I'd let it sit until you can get a racking cane. It will be worth it- trust me!

Racking is when you transfer your cider/wine/beer to a new sanitized container to remove it from the lees. Most wines are racked about every 30-45 days, as long as sediment still forms. You want to do it with tubing so that it doesn't splash. Oxygen is the death of wine/cider/beer/mead after fermentation begins. It'll ruin the taste of the cider (becoming "maderized"- think of a somewhat "sherry" like flavor) if you splash or pour.

OK, well, i will get a basic siphon then to start with, this is all just exprimental to decide if i like it enough to continue. my 1st expirimental batches were done in apple juice containers and came out pretty damn good, but had too much crap in the bottom of the bottles.

how do i keep the siphon off the bottom of the bucket to stop it from sucking up the trub?

Back