Questions regarding Beersmith, converting all grain recipe to extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walrusbt

Reaction score
I've been searching for a APA extract recipe to make with little success. I found a recipe on HBT that got great reviews but it's all grain. Since I didn't come across an extract recipe (mostly just people posting recipes they made and asking if they looked good) I thought I'd try to convert this one https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/lake-walk-pale-ale-32939/. This is only the second time I've used Beersmith (and the first time was mearly playing around with it - not creating anything) and I'm not sure if I'm using it correctly.

The original recipe is:
Lake Walk Pale Ale

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Safale 05 (formerly Safale-56)
Yeast Starter: N
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: N
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 45
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 9
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10
Additional Fermentation: N
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10

Lake Walk Pale Ale
10-A American Pale Ale

Size: 5.5 gal
Efficiency: 80.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 182.74 per 12.0 fl oz
Original Gravity: 1.055 (1.045 - 1.060)
|==================#=============|
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (1.010 - 1.015)
|===================#============|
Color: 8.8 (5.0 - 14.0)
|==============#=================|
Alcohol: 5.4% (4.5% - 6.0%)
|=================#==============|
Bitterness: 44 (30.0 - 45.0)
|================================|
Ingredients:
8.0 lbs 2-Row Brewers Malt
2.0 lbs Toasted Pale Malt
0.5 lbs Crystal Malt 60°L
0.5 lbs Wheat Flakes
.75 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60.0 min
.75 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 ea Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
1.0 ea Fermentis US-56 Safale US-56
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
Schedule:
Mash @ 153 60 mins
-----------------------------------------------------

A few things I'm confused about (first I'm trying to plug the all grain recipe in to get the right stats before adjusting the recipe and trying to match with extract):
1. I'm confused about what equipment I should be using. I thought it wouldn't matter as long as I adjusted the efficiency, batch size, and boil volume manually but it does seem to make a difference of sevral IBUs.
2. The original recipe states boil time of 90 min. Does this have anything to do with it being all grain? The hops additions start at 60 minutes so I wasn't sure whether this was possibly an error.
3. I didn't see Toasted Pale Malt, just Toasted Malt (27 SRM) in Beersmith - is it correct to use this? In addition the IBUs being a bit high, the color is too.

When I plug the recipe in with 90 min boil, 5.5 gallon batch size, 80% efficiency, equipment: 18.5g Pot and 9.5G cooler and letting beersmith calculate boil volume I get:
Original Gravity: 1.057 (1.055 expected)
IBUs: 55 (44 expected)
Color: 10 (8.8 expected)
Alcohol: 6.1 (5.4% expected)
Obviously the IBUs are the most out of bounds but so is the color and alcohol content. What am I missing or doing wrong? Before I can adjust the recipe for extract I thought it would be good to get the all-grain correct in Beersmith.

Thanks for your help.

Multiply the pounds of base malt by 37PPG (point per pound per gallon, this is the typical PPG for base grain). That equals the total points of extract assume 100% conversion and recovery. You need to convert that total points to actual points but multiplying that last number by the percent efficiency (as a decimal).

So, 8lbs base malt * 37PPG is 296 total points. The actual points is going to be 207.2 (296*0.70=207) at 70% efficiency.

In 5.5 gallons, that would yield an expected OG of 1.038 (207.2/5.5gallons= 37.7). This is JUST for the base grain's contribution to overall OG.

So what you need is 207.2 points of extract from DME (Dry Malt Extract) or LME (Liquid Malt Extract). For my calcs, use an assumed 44PPG for DME and 37PPG for LME. Just divide the total points needed by the points per pound of DME or LME.
207.2 points is ~4.7lbs of DME (207.2/44PPG)
or 207.2 points is 5.6 lbs of LME (207.2/37PPG)

So you'll need 5.6 lbs of liquid extract to replace the 8 lbs of 2-row base malt.

All of the other grain, you will get as milled grain and steep as specialty grains.

So here's the basic process:

Heat water to about 160 and turn off heat. Steep specialty grains in a mesh bag for 30 min (once you add the grains, the overall temp should drop into the 155-156 area.

Remove specialty grains. Heat to 175 and turn off heat. Mix in 5.6lbs LME. Stir as you are adding. Stir in for about 8-10 min.

Heat to a rolling boil and start the hop schedule from there on a 60 minute total boil.

Hope that helps!

BTW, your recipe above is pretty complicated for an APA recipe. You can make good APAs with just base malt and a single hop. May I recommend one of my best APA recipes that is MUCH simpler:

5.0 Gallon Batch
7 lbs Extra Pale Malt Extract
0.5 lbs Milled/Crushed Honey Malt
1.0 oz Amarillo @ 60 min
.5 oz Amarillo @ 15 min
.5 oz Amarillo @ 5 min

Heat water to about 158 and turn off heat. Steep specialty grains (Honey Malt) in a mesh bag for 30 min (once you add the grains, the overall temp should drop into the 155-156 area.

Remove specialty grains. Heat to 175 and turn off heat. Mix in 7 lbs LME. Stir as you are adding. Stir in for about 8-10 min.

Heat to a rolling boil and start the hop schedule from there on a 60 minute total boil.

Should be about 1.054 OG
44 IBUs
5 SRM

BTW, your recipe above is pretty complicated for an APA recipe. You can make good APAs with just base malt and a single hop. May I recommend one of my best APA recipes:

5.0 Gallon Batch
7 lbs Extra Pale Malt Extract
0.5 lbs Milled/Crushed Honey Malt
1.0 oz Amarillo @ 60 min
.5 oz Amarillo @ 15 min
.5 oz Amarillo @ 5 min

Heat water to about 158 and turn off heat. Steep specialty grains (Honey Malt) in a mesh bag for 30 min (once you add the grains, the overall temp should drop into the 155-156 area.

Remove specialty grains. Heat to 175 and turn off heat. Mix in 7 lbs LME. Stir as you are adding. Stir in for about 8-10 min.

Thanks for the response to my original question and the recipe. That recipe is a lot simpler. Is that recipe for a partial boil? This will be my thrid batch and I'm doing full boils - just curious if I need to reduce the bittering hops at all.

Back