Questions questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrewr4fun

Reaction score
I have a few questions again.

The first is how does this kit look as a starter. The only problem I can see with it is that it does not come with a second bucket but a glass carboy. I suppose if I did a secondary I would not need one.

The second, when frementing your beer, do you attach a blow off tube or an airlock. I have read in John palmers book that the choice is up to you. I thought a blow off tube was used for a few days and then an airlock.

The third, what is a good beer to start out with for a first brew. I am looking for something with an 8% abv. Any ideas and receipies would be helpful.

The fourth, when re-hydrating and testing your yeast, do you do 1 packet at time? That seems like it would take too much time seeing as how each packet takes 30 minutes to test and hydrate. How do you guys do it?

That is all for now. THanks in advance for the help.

That is a very nice kit. You dont really need a second bucket. The carboy is for your bulk ageing, or secondary.

A blow off tube is good idea on beers that your expecting to have a very vigorous fermentation or you went a little close to the lid. I put blowoff tubes on all my batches for the first few day simple because of my work schedule. I can be gone for 15-20 and day and fermentation can start and really get going on some batches in that time. But I do switch to an airlock once the risk of blow off is gone.

Yes one packet at a time. Most of the time you will only need one. Usually 15 minutes is an ok time. All your waiting for is a little bit of foam or bubbling on the top.

1. That kit seems kinda pricey, and never buy empty bottles. Buy ones with beer in them, drink the beer, keep the bottles. The glass carboy is the secondary. Check out the other major online suppliers for their beginner kits.

2. Either one, it's up to you. A blow off tube can be used for the entire time if you want. I only use a blow off when i'm expecting a very vigorous fermentation.

3. Get a clone kit of a commercial beer for your first brew, it gives you a known reference point to judge your results against.

4. You only need one packet of dry yeast for a 5 gallon batch.

1. That kit seems kinda pricey, and never buy empty bottles. Buy ones with beer in them, drink the beer, keep the bottles. The glass carboy is the secondary. Check out the other major online suppliers for their beginner kits.

2. Either one, it's up to you. A blow off tube can be used for the entire time if you want. I only use a blow off when i'm expecting a very vigorous fermentation.

3. Get a clone kit of a commercial beer for your first brew, it gives you a known reference point to judge your results against.

4. You only need one packet of dry yeast for a 5 gallon batch.

I have read some recipies calling for 3 packets!!

I concur on not buying bottles. I went to my grocery store, where they sell returnables, and was able to buy the bottles for what the store gets for returning them ($1.25 per case). Use a little ammonia or oxyclean to soak off the labels and you're all set.

Back