questions on when and when not to protein rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nipsy3

Reaction score
I've only done single infusion mashes to this point, and with pretty good success, I might add. Though, I believe I have a pretty good understanding of what a protein rest does at this point. I'm going to be doing a hef and a wit for my next two batches, both with grain bills that are about 50/50 wheat and pils. German wheat and Belgian pils, if that matters. Anyways, I've read that anything with a grain bill of over 25% undermodified, wheat, oats, etc, should use a protein rest to further breakdown the proteins. Now, some of the wit and hef recipes from Northern Brewer kits that I refer to don't have protein rests in the mash schedule.

1. Is this because the extra proteins don't matter when you're dealing with a hazy beer anyways?

2. I'd consider using the protein rest only to aid in avoiding a stuck run-off, but would I actually lose some haze in these generally hazy beers? Or will the less flocculant yeast take care of that?

3. Wheat provides good head retention. Will using a protein rest with the wheat hurt head retention?

4. Is there any reason to use a protein rest when you're not dealing with wheat or undermodified grains? I've seen some recipes for Belgian Strongs and Trips that have a protein rest, but have neither wheat, nor undermodified malts in their grain bill. Is it for high gravity reasons?

Refer to the thread below that was just posted because its what got me thinking about this.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/how-get-better-head-brews-113074/

usually you want to do a protein rest with undermodified or unmodified grains in excess of 30% of your grist. when doing a wheat beer and using malted wheat, you dont need a rest, however when using flaked wheat, you need to do a rest when in excess of 30%.
a stuck run off can be avoided by using rice hulls in your grist. using a 60/40 wheat to barley ratio will cause excess stickiness due to the high content of wheat, and the protein rest wont do anything to avoid this. you will not lose haziness with or without a protein rest on wheat beers. thats the nature of wheat beer, it just is. a protein rest will not affect head retention caused by the wheat. wheat enzyme naturally support good head retention. there is no other reason to use a protein rest outside of utilizing 30% or greater content of unmodified or undermodified grains. i hope that was sufficient info.

Back