Questions On Washers - Nylon, Rubber and Silicone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm working on a keezer build, and have a few questions about washers.

First, I'm planning to use MFL connections on all my tubing. I've read that I should use nylon washers to prevent leaks - I assume that is only when I have metal to metal connections, right? For instance, when I connect a metal barb and swivel nut to my gas splitter, which also has metal fittings. My keg disconnects already have nylon ends, so I would think that using a nylon washer on those would be asking for leaks since that would be a metal - nylon - nylon - metal connection. Is that correct?

I've researched my second issue, but not found a definite answer. I plan to purchase quality beer tubing, and I'm using stainless steel for the shanks, faucets, and tailpieces. My question is on the rubber washer which goes between the shank and the tailpiece. I've ordered one set so I can see if everything is the right size for my setup. The rubber washer that I received has a very strong odor to it. I haven't done anything to try and remove that yet, but it's very strong right now. Even though it's only 1/8" or so of the run from keg to glass, I'm a little concerned with having beer pass over it.

The washer I received is a flat washer, approximately 1/8" thick, with a 1/2" ID and a 13/16" OD. I've done some searching, and I've found a set of black silicone O rings on Amazon that are approximately the same size. Of course, they have round edges, being O rings, instead of flat like the rubber washers. I think they would be much less likely to impart any flavors to the beer, my only concern would be if there was a chance of leakage since they are O rings. Has anyone had any issue using rubber washers, and has anyone found a better alternative, such as silicone?

Thanks as always for all your help!

I assume that is only when I have metal to metal connections, right?

Exactly.

As for the shank gasket, you can probably find something in silicone that's geometrically closer if not identical on McMaster-Carr...

Cheers!

If you decide to use BevSeal Ultra for your beer lines, I recommend using the applicable John Guest fittings to connect to your shanks and disconnects. The line sides are push-ons, like Sharkbites. Regular tailpieces are very difficult to get inside BevSeal Ultra lines.

Thanks for the information!

IslandLizard, I am looking at using BevSeal Ultra for my lines. Your suggestion of using special fittings instead of regular barb connections actually solves my rubber gasket issue since I wouldn't need one if I get the shank connectors they make for that tubing (although I believe they have in integrated O ring in them).

Thanks again for the help!

I have the Ultra line, but not the JG fittings yet. I will as soon as I get the keezer together. Need more space...

There must be an O-ring or flat ring inside the screw ends. The beauty of these fittings is you can take the line off easily if needed.

Here's a thread on this board containing the correct JG numbers, IIRC. For more info, do a search in Google with "site:HomeBrewTalk.com" in the search string (without quotes).

Just double check to make sure you get the right ones, their catalog/part# system makes little sense to me. I'll probably get the 10-packs (decent discount) because I'm sure I'll use the extras some time (4 => 6 => 8 taps) or sell them to another brewer if that doesn't happen. Some brew supply stores sell them too, like Birdman and Chi.

Back