Questions on 2nd batch..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Hey all

I took my final gravity on my Red Ale and Im happy to say its sitting pretty at 1.011. Not too shabby :rockin: . My questions are this:

1) there seemed to be little light colored floaties on the top of the wort when I was taking the FG. Not too sure if i should be concerned for bacteria or infection? I didnt do any dry hopping so there really is no good reason I can think of for floaties! Any comments?

2) I just started using OxyClean for my cleaning, as I have heard good things. I may also pick up some idophor later. Anyway, for the first time I used it to sanitize my hydrometer for taking the FG on my Red Ale I had problems figuring out a good workable solution. I just put in one scoop for a gallon, but found out it was waaay too much. Any advice?

Thanks all! other than that, me and a buddy whom I met on here made double chocolate stout last night and it was awesome, I learned so much in 4 hours *and its going to taste great*! I recommend to any beginners to find someone to show you the ropes! If you can't, this place is awesome as well if its all you can do :mug:

EamusCatuli said:
1) there seemed to be little light colored floaties on the top of the wort when I was taking the FG. Not too sure if i should be concerned for bacteria or infection? I didnt do any dry hopping so there really is no good reason I can think of for floaties! Any comments?
They may just be bubbles. You may want to bottle the beer if you are worried about possible infection and you are sure the fermentation is complete. You may want to double check you sanitation practices before going any further.

EamusCatuli said:
2) I just started using OxyClean for my cleaning, as I have heard good things. I may also pick up some idophor later. Anyway, for the first time I used it to sanitize my hydrometer for taking the FG on my Red Ale I had problems figuring out a good workable solution. I just put in one scoop for a gallon, but found out it was waaay too much. Any advice?
OxyClean is a great cleaner, but you need to be careful to rinse it thoroughly. But OxyClean is NOT a sanitizer. Use iodophor or starsan or another no rinse sanitizer on everything that touches your wort/beer after the boil. Also be sure to measure all cleaners and sanitizers and use them at the recommended concentrations, they really work a lot better that way.

Good brewing!

Back