Questions now that I've tasted my first batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueVassar

Reaction score
I made a brewer's best IPA that came out AMAZING! I couldn't be happier about the results. But there were a number of things that didn't seem to go right that I wanted to ask about (boy there's a lot of time to contemplate all the ways you went wrong before you get to taste the final product).

1) I never seemed to have a "hot break." I had trouble getting the temp back up quickly on my stove. Could that have affected it? Should I expect a hot break every time or is it just something to watch for?

2) I've had one beer pour out with a minimal head and a second bottle that filled up half the pint glass after I poured an inch or so of beer. I mixed the priming sugar with the whole batch before bottling. Was it not stirred enough or could this be a temperature difference or air space left in the bottle that could cause the discrepancy? Ooh, or could it be the cleanliness of the bottle?

There are a bunch of things that I will try to improve on next time like cooling the wort quicker, etc but wondered about those two things.

Thanks!

If you used a bottling bucket the priming sugar should be added to the bucket first then siphon from your fermentor slowly to ensure a proper distribution of the priming sugar. When did you add the sugar? The two bottles you opened were they in the same day, same week or when?

2) I've had one beer pour out with a minimal head and a second bottle that filled up half the pint glass after I poured an inch or so of beer. I mixed the priming sugar with the whole batch before bottling. Was it not stirred enough or could this be a temperature difference or air space left in the bottle that could cause the discrepancy? Ooh, or could it be the cleanliness of the bottle?

Thanks!

Could have been anyone of those possibilities. If they were opened the same day, especially. One day they might foam like a bastard, the next the CO2 has worked its way into the liquid better and behaves. The air space is easy to control, just fill it to the brim, then pull out your bottling wand and you've got the right amount. If that particular bottle was infected, it would also foam up like a bastard.

Like that other guy said, put the priming sugar in your bottling bucket, then siphon from your fermenter. I usually point the end of the siphon hose so that when it comes out it spins around the bucket so I don't have to stir. The beer beer, not the hose.

How long have they been in the bottles? If not for at least 3 weeks at around 70 degrees some might not be fully carbed. Let them carb up then refrigerate for at least a week and see if you get more even carbination. I'll bet you will be fine in a little time.

You won't get a hot break on extract brews

Sure you will - just not as big.

To the problem - sounds like a foamer - did it still taste good? How long has it been carbing - I'm REAL familiar with BAD foamers but there are NOT bad foamers.

Lots of reason for a foamer if it still tastes good after it's been carbing for a few weeks. Sanitation is the main reason. it'll still taste good but foamy. For homes brewers it's almost a random thing but something to be concerned about. I have seen foamers coming from Brew Your own Breweries.

Best advice is just to be more aware with sanitation, particulary with spigots, hoses and buckets and do NOT put anything hard into that bucket! Mico scratches are a pain in the butt. Almost better to have a nice deep scratch.

BTW - put the priming fluid in the bucket and then rake the beer on top so it swirls and mixes as it fills as magic said.

I had foaming issues with my first two kits, where some would foam like crazy and others would have next to no head. I haven't had problems with any other kits or recipes.

Sorry if I reply twice, it didn't show up for some reason.

Thanks for the info about extracts not having hot breaks. Now I won't be anxious next time about it. (or not as big of one as a later post mentions)

I did the sugar like both of you described. I dissolved the sugar in water and put it at the bottom of the priming bucket where I coiled the tube so it would swirl the beer as I siphoned it in.

The beer with less head was the day before the one that was almost a glass a foam. I actually preferred the first one. The beer itself felt like the same amount of carbonation, just how much head was on each one (and I poured the same way down the side).

Thanks for everyone's help!

The beer with less head was the day before the one that was almost a glass a foam. I actually preferred the first one. The beer itself felt like the same amount of carbonation, just how much head was on each one (and I poured the same way down the side).

Thanks for everyone's help!

I'd be willing to bet those beers would have been the same had they both been opened on the same day.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

Check that out. Some of it will be stuff you already know, but he did some youtube action on the same batch of beer on several different days. I'm actually surprised he hasn't come along and told you about it himself yet. The videos are a few posts down, they're embedded so you can't miss them.

Back