Questions before buying equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrittenhouse

Reaction score
Obviously I haven't ever brewed before but I have been researching quite a lot lately about it.

I want to start off brewing the usual 5 gallon batches with the Extract method.

I am looking at this specific kit: Better Basic Starter Kit - Starter Kits

This kit looks like it has about everything I need besides the usual kettle, bottles, and ingredients.

With this I have some questions about the actual brewing with this kit.

Question 1)Should I take the Glass Carboy over the Plastic? I'm assuming I should brew in the Carboy and then siphon to the plastic bucket to bottle, right?

Question 2) I want to brew something sweet and malty that I think I would like. I read that Oktoberfest( Oktoberfest Extract Kit - Extract Lager Kits - Extract Kits - Recipe Kits ) takes a few months to age but I like Oktoberfest, pumpkin ale, and Scottish Ale. These seem to be very Malty beers so can I get some suggestions from the list at Northern Brewer:
Ale: Northern Brewer - Extract Ale Recipe Kits
Lager: Northern Brewer - Extract Lager Recipe Kits

Question 3) With these kits do I have to put priming sugar in the bottles or should I use some carbonation caps when bottling?

I am also deciding to purchase a 5 gallon kettle from them too because I can't find them any cheaper than I can locally: 5 Gallon Stainless Kettle

Besides bottles does everything *sound* correct? I just keep hearing misleading suggestions such as: Don't use a secondary fermentor, use only the primary..etc.

I know it's a lot of questions but I am very thankful of you knowledgeable people here helping us newbies get into this great hobby.

Thank you

Get a stainless turkey fryer with a spigot on it - so you can do full boils right off the bat.
Yes, primary fermenter to bottling bucket where you will prime the batch.
Carb caps ARE sugar.
Glass vs. Plastic will NEVER be decided on this board. Flip a coin. (I prefer glass)
For malty beer, anything "euro" vs. american will give that to you. American = Hoppy.
Outside of cleaning/sanitizing it's pretty hard to mess up an extract kit.
Keep reading on this board and everything will be fine.

-OCD

as for glass vs plactice thats a long tread
but i use glass and love to beable to watch my beer ferment its amazing the way it gets going.
all sworling around and when its done you can see all the layers of trub and yeast

Almost everything is in there...except for directions and a way to cool off your wort before adding it to a glass carboy...if your wort is hot it will shatter the glass if used as a primary.

Since you won't be getting a chiller I would recommend you buy a bucket (with lid) to use as a primary until you decide what other equipment you "must" have later.

Also, look on-line for John Palmer's "How To Brew" book. The first edition is free to read.

I guess when I said glass vs plastic I meant for the Carboy. The plastic is cheaper anyhow!

I don't have a way to cool the Wort but I wondered if it could just "sit" and cool for now or is that a problem? If I use the plastic carboy would hot wort still be an issue?

Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just ignore the Carboy setup until later. It would be nice to see the beer ferment but I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go the cheaper route.

The kit doesn't come with a Thermometer, and beer thief. (as far as I know).

Suggestions?

Thanks

Read up on "Late Addition" and "Small Boil" brewing.

I have been doing these since 1994.

Basically, I boil up to 3 gals of water and use only half the malt for the 45-60 min boil, remove the pot from the flame and add the remaining malt and hops as required by the recipe and let it sit for 15 mins.

I also place 3-4 gals of filtered tap water in the freezer for 4-5 hours prior to brewing to use as top off water (5.25 to 5.5 gals) in the primary bucket. This addition usually cools the wort down in the 60s in the time it takes to pour and stir in.

It's not as important to see the fermentation taking place as much as it is to learn how to read a hydrometer to ensure your brew is done fermenting. ;)

The major pain with trying to answer noob questions is the fact that there are too many variables for this hobby. Meaning, I can tell you one thing (and it's true) and another person can tell you something that seems like it's contradictary and it's also true, but there are times when you need that flexibility in brewing.

+1 on homebrewer99's suggestion about reading the howtobrew book by Palmer. It is an incredibly good resource and will let you know what to do each step of the way.
How to Brew - By John Palmer - Introduction

Plastic v. Glass -- I prefer glass, but am not against plastic. The BetterBottles are clear plastic so you get the benifit of the safety of plastic with the visibility you get with glass.

The kit that you linked to has most of the stuff you'll need... I agree with beerocd about the turkey frier... and many times, they come with the pot you'll need. Otherwise, checkout your dollar store for a boil pot -- that's where I got my first one for $15 and it still works like a champ.

And you will need some sort of thermometer!!!!... beer thief is somewhat imporant, but not necessary at the beginning.

But from the questions you posed, make sure you read the howtobrew book at least through the extract section. Then read it again. You'll be glad that you did.

I was going to buy a kit like that but I found I was able to buy all that twice over on Craigslist by doing some searching for a while and being quick to reply when I find stuff. If you don't want to put in the legwork to do that, go for the kits.

+1 on homebrewer99's suggestion about reading the howtobrew book by Palmer. It is an incredibly good resource and will let you know what to do each step of the way.
How to Brew - By John Palmer - Introduction

Plastic v. Glass -- I prefer glass, but am not against plastic. The BetterBottles are clear plastic so you get the benifit of the safety of plastic with the visibility you get with glass.

The kit that you linked to has most of the stuff you'll need... I agree with beerocd about the turkey frier... and many times, they come with the pot you'll need. Otherwise, checkout your dollar store for a boil pot -- that's where I got my first one for $15 and it still works like a champ.

And you will need some sort of thermometer!!!!... beer thief is somewhat imporant, but not necessary at the beginning.

But from the questions you posed, make sure you read the howtobrew book at least through the extract section. Then read it again. You'll be glad that you did.

Awesome. Yeah I read it once but I think I need to read it again. I also bought "The complete joy of home brewing" the other day from Amazon. I was just going to spring for the $38 pot because I honestly can't find anything locally over 16qts that isn't $50! Turkey fryers look to be 100+ locally. I planned on just using the pot on my gas stove at home in the kitchen. I just need to worry about Wort temp and then fermentation temp. I need to measure one last room in the basement (dirt floor, cellar-style room) to see what the temps are throughout the day.

I just have the money right now and if I don't spend it on what I want - the wife will find something to spend it on!! LOL

Thanks

After starting to read Palmer's book again I forgot that for the wort cooling I could just immerse it in an ice/water bath to cool it down since I don't have a wort cooler or something fancy.

I'm guessing this is an accepted method and will work fine? I'm still not sure if I should go for the two plastic buckets or the better bottle carboy and the bucket. If I go with the two buckets I will have to buy a thermometer and possibly a thief if I want one.

Decisions Decisions. lol

I was going to buy a kit like that but I found I was able to buy all that twice over on Craigslist by doing some searching for a while and being quick to reply when I find stuff. If you don't want to put in the legwork to do that, go for the kits.

That is what I did and I got a complete setup off of a guy who quit brewing. I got five 6.5 gallon glass carboys, three 5 gallon glass carboys. A 30 quart stainless pot, bottle tree bottle washer hydrometer thermometer autosiphon rubber stoppers drilled and undrilled and finally a Philtap. All for 80 bucks.

I got the majority of my equipment by buying from others who were quitting.

A couple of years ago I purchased 24 used carboys for $6 each. :rockin:

On my last deal I paid $525 and itemized almost every item (at catalog prices, which is cheaper than in-store) and it came out to $1360...and no shipping. :rockin:

Whether you go glass or Better Bottle, I highly recommend going the bucket/carboy route. (I am a Better Bottle fan, a big one, I realized just how big a fan yesterday when I was forced to pulled out one of my glass carboys and realized that I hadn't used one in over a year. I have a tight staircase down to my cellar and it truly is scary to be carrying 60+ pounds of liquid encased in glass down that deathcase.)

EDIT: I forgot to mention. Upgrade the carboy to 6 G for BB or 6.5 for glass because 5G is rarely necessary for me. Even for secondary I still want a touch more than 5 gallons so that when I keg it I can leave some sediment behind and still fill the keg. I have a few 5 gallon carboys and I always use the 6 gallon if I have a choice.

I ordered my Basic kit from Midwest and its worked great!
I've now went and gotten 2 glass carboys that I use also...I prefer the glass.
I really think Midwest has the better deals.
I buy most of my kits from them.

Whether you go glass or Better Bottle, I highly recommend going the bucket/carboy route. (I am a Better Bottle fan, a big one, I realized just how big a fan yesterday when I was forced to pulled out one of my glass carboys and realized that I hadn't used one in over a year. I have a tight staircase down to my cellar and it truly is scary to be carrying 60+ pounds of liquid encased in glass down that deathcase.)

Actually I will have to carry mine down a really scary flight of steps to the basement too. Im thinking the better bottle + plastic bucket might be the best bet me for now.

I've looked around on craigslist but theres only one guy on there selling his stuff and hes about 2+ hours away.

I did just find a post as I type this that has some very basic items for cheap. One that caught my eye was a 5 gallon stainless steel pot for $5. I emailed the person to see if they still have it. It's just about an hour away. They also have "Corny Kegs" for $20 each and they have 4. I'm not sure if I want to look into kegging yet so I left them out of the email.

Actually I will have to carry mine down a really scary flight of steps to the basement too. Im thinking the better bottle + plastic bucket might be the best bet me for now.

I thought you might when you described your cellar. ;) Mine is a 160 year old root cellar that was dug out some and shored up some with concrete about 100 years ago but it still has that root cellar vibe to it.

Seems like the kit has most of what you need to get started, but there are a bunch of good suggestions on this thread.
You mentioned a wine thief, which is a good idea for taking samples. You can also use a turkey baster which you should be able to get in the supermarket.
If you can't get brewing supplies locally, I would also get some extra bottle caps and some starsan or iodophor for sanitizing. You can use oxiclean free for cleaning the carboy. (The one step won't last very long).
I would definitely go for an ale for your first few brews as they are faster, and easier to achieve acceptable fermentation temperatures.

Good luck,

-a.

That's the kit my wife got me (minus the better bottles, which I bought online yesterday...would have been cheaper to get them in the kit) and it's great. That kit with a 5 gal stainless pot and Palmer's "How To Brew" book (for reading while your boil is going :) ) is perfect for extract kits.

Definitely get the "How To Brew" book, it's a necessity with this hobby.

Man, I wish my wife went there for the kit...she paid the same price (a tad more actually) for it minus the bottles on another site. Ah well :drunk:

That's the kit my wife got me (minus the better bottles, which I bought online yesterday...would have been cheaper to get them in the kit) and it's great. That kit with a 5 gal stainless pot and Palmer's "How To Brew" book (for reading while your boil is going :) ) is perfect for extract kits.

Definitely get the "How To Brew" book, it's a necessity with this hobby.

Man, I wish my wife went there for the kit...she paid the same price (a tad more actually) for it minus the bottles on another site. Ah well :drunk:

What would I do with two plastic buckets and TWO carboys? :D I'm guessing it's just extras (and don't get me wrong its cheap!)

The shipping to Ohio is another $30 but I believe its still just as much as the Northern Brewer's.

Where is the kit with the kettle and "how to brew"?

Thanks

What would I do with two plastic buckets and TWO carboys? :D I'm guessing it's just extras (and don't get me wrong its cheap!)

The shipping to Ohio is another $30 but I believe its still just as much as the Northern Brewer's.

Thanks

I honestly would get this kit if I were you, and buy a 5gal stainless pot at Target for $40 (that's what I did) unless this supplier has one for cheaper. Regarding the two better bottles, don't underestimate yourself! You'll be a brewing fanatic in no time, and the extra will come in handy. I've only been brewing for less than a month now and I have a Blonde Ale bottled, a Pumpkin Spice in the primary, a Cherry Wheat flavoring in the secondary, and an Oatmeal Stout in the primary. I just bought a better bottle online for a batch of Apfelwein (look it up here on the forums) that I'll be making this week. You'll find a use for both better bottles in no time...trust me on that one.

I honestly would get this kit if I were you, and buy a 5gal stainless pot at Target for $40 (that's what I did) unless this supplier has one for cheaper. Regarding the two better bottles, don't underestimate yourself! You'll be a brewing fanatic in no time, and the extra will come in handy. I've only been brewing for less than a month now and I have a Blonde Ale bottled, a Pumpkin Spice in the primary, a Cherry Wheat flavoring in the secondary, and an Oatmeal Stout in the primary. I just bought a better bottle online for a batch of Apfelwein (look it up here on the forums) that I'll be making this week. You'll find a use for both better bottles in no time...trust me on that one.

Awesome. I think I will do that then. I will order it soon I just need to find a Kettle! They had a 22qt stainless (with glass lid) at Walmart but it was $50. I'll order the Kettle from elsewhere.

The last thing I need to worry about are my ingredients. Is there an easy Pumpkin Ale or Oktoberfest that can be done in a month? Maybe I should stick to some basic beer.

I like malty beers such as Scottish Ale, Oktoberfest, and Pumpkin Ale.
Suggestions?

Thanks

I recommend just ordering one of those as a kit when you order the equipment. Make sure to get an ale kit, not a lager, like AJF said. (Oktoberfests can go either way but they are traditionally lagered.)

20Q is a great starting kettle size. You might want to expand down the road but the 40 q will always be useful regardless.

Get your pot (the stainless...) from Target. They have a nice 5 gal one for $40. As for the kit, austin homebrew supply has a great pumpkin spice ale that I'm one week into right now. No matter what ale you get, you're going to want at least 5 - 6 weeks total. 3 weeks in the primary (ferments for up to 4-5 days, then clears in the next 2+ weeks) and 3 weeks for bottle conditioning.

Get your pot (the stainless...) from Target. They have a nice 5 gal one for $40. As for the kit, austin homebrew supply has a great pumpkin spice ale that I'm one week into right now. No matter what ale you get, you're going to want at least 5 - 6 weeks total. 3 weeks in the primary (ferments for up to 4-5 days, then clears in the next 2+ weeks) and 3 weeks for bottle conditioning.

I would go to target but the closest one is an hour away! lol all we have are Walmart stores it seems. I'll order that and find the kettle somewhere! Maybe even online...

Thanks!

Thanks

One of the plastic buckets is for bottling (has spigot). The other is for Fermenting (no spigot). The two 5 gal. better bottles are used for secondary/clearing tanks. I would ask midway if you could upgrade the better bottles to 6 gal so you could use as primary or secondary.

I bought a better bottle and love it. Carrying heavy glass carboys downstairs is scary :eek: I'm new to brewing and have 4 brews going now. Its very addicting and you'll love having the bottles now and not having to order them later. (saves on shipping getting everything now also).

Also if you need bottles just invite a bunch of friends over to watch a game or play rockband :rockin: Tell them no cans or twist offs allowed. I collected 60 bottles this weekend. Plus a few full ones in the fridge.

If you have a Sam's Club membership you should be able to find a 24qt aluminum pot there for $32 or so. It's not stainless, but it's a solid pot.

I just wanted to recommend you avoid that pot in the pic like the plague. I bought the same one at my local HBS, and it turned out to be the thinnest cheapest Piece of junk I've ever seen. It also has an indention on the bottom that kept it from contacting my glass top stove, so I can't even get water to boil in it.

I just wanted to recommend you avoid that pot in the pic like the plague. I bought the same one at my local HBS, and it turned out to be the thinnest cheapest Piece of junk I've ever seen. It also has an indention on the bottom that kept it from contacting my glass top stove, so I can't even get water to boil in it.
Just in case you weren't aware of it, the problem is not the pot, but your stove. ;)

Electric is a bear to brew on. I tried it once, never again...;)

Do not do not do not buy a 5g pot. You WILL end up replacing it at some point.

Buy a 32+ qt aluminum pot. They're available at walmart and like stores for under $25. My 5g stainless pot (at $45+) is probably the worst homebrewing purchase I've made.

Even with a copper clad $500 pot, you probably still couldn't boil on your stove.

Do you have a cabelas near you? They're trying to get rid of their turkey fryers at the one near me, and they're all in the bargain cave. $40 for a burner and a 34 qt pot is a bitchin deal

Sam's Club - Aluminum Stock Pot - Available in Various Sizes

Yup you'll have to order it though they don't stock that size in store.

The 24 qt is available in his local club as it was in mine. It's different than the one you linked to. It's this one and it's listed as available for pickup at the Zanesville, OH club.

It's in the restaurant supply aisle at the back of the grocery section before the freezers. I bought mine on Wednesday.

The pot I got is very thick, very sturdy, and the bottom is as flat as any other pan I've ever had. It even comes with a lid.

Even with a copper clad $500 pot, you probably still couldn't boil on your stove.
Do you have a cabelas near you? They're trying to get rid of their turkey fryers at the one near me, and they're all in the bargain cave. $40 for a burner and a 34 qt pot is a bitchin deal

I live just outside of Boston, and can't find a turkey fryer, or a propane burner for sale to save my life. I now have two aluminum bottom Stainless 20qt pots, and managed a full boil pumpkin ale using both pots at the same time. The boil wasn't super vigorous, but it was enough to get the job done nicely. I live in an apartment so I have no control over my stove. :(
If anyone knows where I can get a turkey fryer in eastern MA, or southern NH let me know. :mug:

Do not do not do not buy a 5g pot. You WILL end up replacing it at some point.

Buy a 32+ qt aluminum pot. They're available at walmart and like stores for under $25. My 5g stainless pot (at $45+) is probably the worst homebrewing purchase I've made.

What department are you referring to? I went where the pots and pans section and all they had were 22qt which is the biggest I've seen locally and it was 50 bucks! Online for a 20qt @ 38 or so looks quite appealing after seeing that!

I live just outside of Boston, and can't find a turkey fryer, or a propane burner for sale to save my life. I now have two aluminum bottom Stainless 20qt pots, and managed a full boil pumpkin ale using both pots at the same time. The boil wasn't super vigorous, but it was enough to get the job done nicely. I live in an apartment so I have no control over my stove.
If anyone knows where I can get a turkey fryer in eastern MA, or southern NH let me know.

ordering one online would be your best bet or if you have a SamsClub near by.
This is the one i use, bought it at Sams Club. Sam's Club - Kamp Kitchen 3-Burner Stove

When i'm not making beer i can grill on it. or both at the same time if i so choose. It boils 5 gal. of water with ease. Plus it comes with a Heavy Duty bag to haul it all camping.

I think i've settled on the Intermediate kit from Midwest: Brewing Intermediate Kit w/ Two 5 Gallon Better Bottles :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

I'm also just throwing in a 5gal pot because this is the only one I can find thats so cheap. Locally all I can find is a 22qt for $50; I'm gonna take the 20qt for $29 or so: Polarware Economy Stainless Steel Brewing Pot, 5 Gallon :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

I chose what I would LIKE to brew: (pumpkin ale) - Pumpkin Ale w/ 6 gm Munton's dry yeast :: Midwest Supplies Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

The kit and instructions look very managable. I think hopefully sometime this week I will have enough to order. It might be after I get paid on Friday though.

Total is about: $213 with shipping!

I am also going to look into Apfelwein once I get my first kit in the Primary.

Thank you all for this great discussion!

Back