questions about pediococcus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jester5120

Reaction score
I can't seem to find much info on pedio so i thought i'd ask a few questions to some of you veterans. First off how come only wyeast offers a straight pedio pitch? Neither white labs nor ECY or any other lab I know of provide a straight pitch of pedio. Also is there a way to culture pedio at home similar to how you can culture lacto (i'm referencing growing it up off of grain)? I'm asking because i'm toying around with the idea of pitching specific cultures to see their results and to deviate from the premixed sour blends. maybe it's not worth my time but i'm still curious. Thanks guys

My guess that more yeast Co. don't sell just pedio is that you need to ferment pedio with Brett. From what I've read is pedio will create lots of diacetyl and you need the Brett to clean up after it. You might a well through in some lacto while your at it and a little sac, and you have all the components to make a nice sour beer.

Back