Questions about Nitro setups

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IvanTheTerribrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

So I have been pondering the idea of having a nitro pour for both stouts and other types of beers. Has anyone done this? Has anyone nitro poured an IPA or Amber, etc? What have you thought about it compared to regular pour?

Secondly, can anyone explain to me how to set one up? Like if I were to get a N2 tank what do I actually ask for it to get filled up with(I've read about beer gas but I mean for when I go to a gas supply shop and have to tell them what I want)? And do I just connect it all the same like I would a CO2 tank or is there something special about it?

Do they need a special regulator or would one for CO2 work as well? Any information would be great. Thank you.

- ISM NRP

I don't have mine set up yet, but I've had lots of different beers on nitro. It definitely changes just about everything...mouthfeel, aroma, flavor. Creaminess is probably the most obvious characteristic. I don't know that I'd use it on an IPA, but that's just me. It's basically the same equipment as CO2. If you ask for beergas they'll know what you want; it's a blend of nitrogen and CO2. The guys at my local Airgas said a CO2 regulator works fine. The biggest difference is nitrogen is not in liquid form at the pressure it'll be at in your bottle, so a bottle of beergas doesn't last as long as the same size bottle of straight CO2. Your serving pressure is also higher and you need a stout faucet.

Lots of craft brewers and homebrewers have tried any number of styles on nitro. I had a black IPA on nitro recently that was delicious. As mentioned, it will greatly change the mouthfeel and the perception of some of the flavors and aromas.

To pour nitro beers, you need a nitro faucet and a tank/regulator with a beer gas blend. Many people use nitrogen tanks and nitrogen regulators, since they're rated for higher pressures than CO2 equipment. Since the gas blends usually don't have as high a fill pressure as N2 tanks, others feel comfortable using CO2 tanks and CO2 regs. The choice is yours, but if you want to be on the safe side, use N2 equipment.

Beer gas is sold in several blends, the most common by far being 25% CO2 and 75% N2, AKA G-mix. This is designed for serving Guinness carbed to 1.2 vol through commercial systems at relatively cold temps. Most people prefer slightly warmer temps and/or slightly higher carb levels, which work better with higher CO2 content blends. I'd suggest getting a 30/70 or 35/65 blend if your gas supplier has it. Either way, you'll want to keep the carb level of the beer very low. Nitro faucets can only handle about 1.8 vol before they start creating a foamy mess. It's usually easiest to carb with pure CO2 first, and then put it on the beer gas to serve.

The serving pressure will be somewhat dependent on your faucet, carb level, temp, etc, but in general nitro faucets work best around 25-40psi. Unlike with pure CO2, matching the serving pressure to the equilibrium pressure of the carb level isn't critical, but you should still try to get somewhat close if possible. Here's a handy calculator for figuring out equilibrium pressures of blended gasses-
http://mcdantim.mobi/easypsig.html

Having tried Victory Hop Devil on nitro is what convinced me to get a nitro rig at home. IPAs are awesome on nitro.

I got an 80cf tank from scott, highly recommended.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/40-20-co2-tanks-415193/

I exchange it at my local Airgas for a full tank of beergas (75/25%) for around $30.

After going through several brands of co2 regulators, I will only ever buy the premium Micromatic ones from now on. I have one for co2 and one for nitro. Well worth the extra few dollars.
Nitro is worth the trouble, go for it!

Awesome replies! Thanks guys! If I decide to get it I probably will try to get a N2 tank and regulator. Since in the end if plan to have one beer on it while the rest on CO2. I'll call Monday and find out what my local supplier has for mixed gas.

- ISM NRP

Lots of craft brewers and homebrewers have tried any number of styles on nitro. I had a black IPA on nitro recently that was delicious. As mentioned, it will greatly change the mouthfeel and the perception of some of the flavors and aromas.

To pour nitro beers, you need a nitro faucet, tank/regulator with a beer gas blend. Many people use nitrogen tanks and nitrogen regulators, since they're rated for higher pressures than CO2 equipment. Since the gas blends usually don't have as high a fill pressure as N2 tanks, others feel comfortable using CO2 tanks and CO2 regs. The choice is yours, but if you want to be on the safe side, use N2 equipment.

Beer gas is sold in several blends, the most common by far being 25% CO2 and 75% N2, AKA G-mix. This is designed for serving Guinness carbed to 1.2 vol through commercial systems at relatively cold temps. Most people prefer slightly warmer temps and/or slightly higher carb levels, which work better with higher CO2 content blends. I'd suggest getting a 30/70 or 35/65 blend if your gas supplier has it. Either way, you'll want to keep the carb level of the beer very low. Nitro faucets can only handle about 1.8 vol before they start creating a foamy mess. It's usually easiest to carb with pure CO2 first, and then put it on the beer gas to serve.

The serving pressure will be somewhat dependent on your faucet, carb level, temp, etc, but in general nitro faucets work best around 25-40psi. Unlike with pure CO2, matching the serving pressure to the equilibrium pressure of the carb level isn't critical, but you should still try to get somewhat close if possible. Here's a handy calculator for figuring out equilibrium pressures of blended gasses-

http://mcdantim.mobi/easypsig.html

Thanks for all the great info! That calculator is awesome

- ISM NRP

On a somewhat related note on stout faucets.

Do you have to run beer gas with a faucet or can you run CO2 on them? If one is not going to get a beer gas tank anytime soon (or has the room for an extra tank) is it still better to have a stout faucet with CO2 or is it a waste of money?

Is this a good price for a setup? I would not get the shank because I already have shanks for my two taps I would probably just swap one faucet out.

If it isn't a good price, can anyone recommend where I should look?
http://www.homebrewing.org/Nitrogen-Kegging-System-_p_2608.html

- ISM NRP

I'm not up to date on current prices, sorry.

On a somewhat related note on stout faucets.

Do you have to run beer gas with a faucet or can you run CO2 on them? If one is not going to get a beer gas tank anytime soon (or has the room for an extra tank) is it still better to have a stout faucet with CO2 or is it a waste of money?

For the faucet to work as intended, you need a very high serving pressure. That type of pressure will quickly overcarb your beer using straight CO2. You might be able to make it work temporarily by keeping the gas pressure very low, and then turning it up before you pour a pint, and then venting the pressure and turning it back down after. Would get tedious doing that for every beer you pour, and would waste a lot of gas.

Thinking about a nitro myself, had the sawtooth nitro at a local bar and was blown away. Think you could really do some nice beers besides stouts on there and I've always been a boddingtons fan as well. Anyone have a good resource for less expensice stout taps? Don't have perlicks just cheapo used faucets now which seem to work well.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

Back