Questions about new mIBU hop utilization formula...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coastalbrew

Reaction score
Yesterday, I listened to a back episode of experimental brewing podcast (ep. 130). In the episode, Denny and Drew interview a couple of fellas from the Grainfather community app about a new hop utilization formula being used in the app that is supposed to be more representative of actual IBU's in beer, the mIBU formula.

I was curious, so downloaded the app, setup my equipment profile and started playing around with a new recipe I am working on. I plugged in the recipe as is from my normal recipe creator, which uses an unknown formula to calculate IBU. On the old calc, I get 45 IBU, which is about what I want. Using the new formula in the GF app, I get 65 IBU.

I'm wondering if anyone else has played around with the new formula and what others think about it's accuracy?

Cheers!

I did the same as you but never could get a good feeling for why I was seeing the numbers. The graph thing just did nothing for me to help explain. I enjoyed the podcast and I think Denny uses the mIBU figure hen he brews bit I have not quite figured it out yet.

I did the same as you but never could get a good feeling for why I was seeing the numbers. The graph thing just did nothing for me to help explain. I enjoyed the podcast and I think Denny uses the mIBU figure hen he brews bit I have not quite figured it out yet.
The podcast talked about differences in the way the utilization is calculated, particularly in regards to late additions and hop stands, but I was surprised at what a difference there was between the 2 numbers. I put in a couple of my other recipes and sure enough, they all came out substantially higher in IBU. So high in fact, that it pushed them all out of the style guidelines. I don't compete, but it seems like that would be a real issue for those who do. If you reduce the hops to be back in the guidelines is that beer still going to be what you are going for?

I guess on the home brew scale this is all just an intellectual exercise, but it has piqued my curiosity.

Cheers!

particularly in regards to late additions and hop stands, but I was surprised at what a difference there was between the 2 numbers. I put in a couple of my other recipes and sure enough, they all came out higher
Cheers!
I am very interested in listening to the podcast and seeing the data/research behind the creation of the new formula.

It’s been known by the ipa, specifically NEIPA and new world ipa community for quite some time that late addition/whirlpool additions are not accurately calculated in terms of ibus in the programs. This has lead to additional focus on water Chem and ph. It would be interesting to see if this program is more accurate. The science behind it intrigues me

The mIBU method looks interesting to me. It's just... a lot more complicated than it needs to be, IMO. Too many variables. It might be super accurate. But in truth... I don't think I'll bother with it.

I am very interested in listening to the podcast and seeing the data/research behind the creation of the new formula.

It’s been known by the ipa, specifically NEIPA and new world ipa community for quite some time that late addition/whirlpool additions are not accurately calculated in terms of ibus in the programs. This has lead to additional focus on water Chem and ph. It would be interesting to see if this program is more accurate. The science behind it intrigues me
Agreed. It is really interesting and if it's more accurate I'm all for it, but I think the ramifications on the rest of the beer world will be VERY interesting.

Latest posts

Back