questions about my hefeweizen brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxerDog

Reaction score
Heres what I brewed today using the late boil method.

6lbs of wheat DME

2lbs of light DME

1 oz of hallertau pellets

white labs hefe 300 yeast

I didnt make a starter for my yeast, in other posts I read that its about a 36 hr. time till it starts fermentation, is that going to be the same for me? Temp is between 70-73f.

Also I am bottling from the primary carboy and I do not have equipment to take gravity readings. Should I just plan on between 12-14 days?

Yah the lag time should be about the same for you, with no starter... Id say let it sit 2-3 weeks, no problem with that.

I have never made a starter, my fermentation usually start (noticeably) in 12 hrs.

especially with a hefe. the yeast will usually take off no longer than 12 hours. and when it does, stand back and watch that air lock cause a hefe will usually have a very intense fermentation for the first 1-2 days. all without a starter.

Its already going strong this morning!!!

what do you think my abv will be with 8 lbs of malt?

I had to put a blow off tube on the first day, the krausen was out of control. On the second day it slowed down, still steady, but the krausen subsided a bit. Is that normal that is slowed down?

Yes, that always happens to my hefes. Also, if you can't do a secondary, I agree on letting the beer stay about 10-12 days in primary. I got an off flavor in my first batch of hefe and I had let it sit in primary about 2 1/2 weeks, so I don't think you should go too long, just long enough to avoid bottle bombs.
PS - invest in a hydrometer, it's worth the money and it isn't much money. My hefes usually end around 1.012 FG, start at around 1.050, and I use the WLP300 yeast. I do my fermentation at a cooler temp, 64F, so you may be ready to bottle in 10 days since it will ferment faster at the warmer temps you are at.

Will putting your hefe in secondary leave enough yeast for bottling carbonation and leave that nice little yeast layer on the bottom that tastes so good with these?

I have read in other places that bottling from primary is better for hefes but I would rather have a clearer beer if I can.

I couldnt wait anymore after about 12 days, I had to break into a bottle and taste it. After my somewhat nasty mr.beer brews and a porter that was only like 2% abv, I had to try some. Its not as carbed as I would like, (it needs more time) but it was somewhat like paulaner. Very happy and thankful for all the help with this brew.

I plan on making a very similar Hefe to this one on May 25th for a party on July 19th (7 weeks away). I plan on kegging it after about 12-14 days in the primary.

Any thoughts on whether I should let it condition at cellar temps (65) vs cold conditioning (40)? I like they way hefes are when they are young, but i would also like to keep as much of the yeast in suspension for this style. Im also going to force carb either way.

cpbergie said:
I plan on making a very similar Hefe to this one on May 25th for a party on July 19th (7 weeks away). I plan on kegging it after about 12-14 days in the primary.

Any thoughts on whether I should let it condition at cellar temps (65) vs cold conditioning (40)? I like they way hefes are when they are young, but i would also like to keep as much of the yeast in suspension for this style. Im also going to force carb either way.
You should condition it at higher (70s) temps. Lower temps will take too long.:D

My last hefe spewed out the airlock all day the first day at 72 degrees. The one I made prior to that didn't, but I fermented that one at 68. What a difference four degrees can make!

My only complaint with this brew is the following, but since its my first real hefe, I am happy. Please excuse my

1. Too much bannana, I like Paulaner but this is a little too much.

2. A bit dark in taste and color, I probally carmelized it too much, its more like a dunkelwiezen.

3. Its not light and refreshing like a commerical hefe.

Any suggestions? I did a late boil, but its my first time with DME so I am new to this. Hop balanced seems right, just a little too much bannana.

I plan on doing a belgian wit which is somewhat similar , any suggestions?

BoxerDog said:
2. A bit dark in taste and color, I probally carmelized it too much, its more like a dunkelwiezen.

I plan on doing a belgian wit which is somewhat similar , any suggestions?

Only thing I can think of (except adding the DME late, like you did) is try to find Extra Light DME. This is the name it is sold as through AHS which is actually Pilsner extract (Briess). May or may not help.

My understanding is that you get more of a clove flavor and less banana if you can maintain a fermentation temp under 70 F. I don't know yet, I put my first one in the fermentor on Sunday. In 12 hours it had plugged my airlock in my fermentor and the pressure inside was blowing a big mess out through the sides of the lid. 10 gallon batch in a 12.5 conical; which apparently needs the lid gasket replaced! The blow-off tube fixed it, but didn't do anything about the mess on the floor, walls, ceiling.

yes, i despise the banana flavor (when it's to prominent) and try to keep my hefes at 68-70 (my last kept at 68 for two weeks straight, wewt!)

I find they turn into MUCH nicer brews.

I also always use a blow-off tube now with hefes, even real low gravity ones. they like to go nutty.

Next time I might try white labs 380 instead, on their website it states that you will get more of a citrus note, has anyone found this to be true?

Fermenting temp was right at 72 and constant.

Its still a good brew, just a little too much like bannana bread beer.

Back