Questions about dairy in alcholic beverages

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ty520

Reaction score
I've been perusing historic alcoholic beverage recipes recently that have piqued my interest, and have been thinking about trying one or two.

However, many of them make use of ingredients like cream, butter, and even egg, and i would be concerned about how sanitary the end product would be.

obviously, alcohol acts as a preservative and several modern beverages contain dairy (baileys, etc) - some being shelf stable, but some requiring refrigeration.

Have any of you tried such recipes, or made use of similar ingredients, and can offer some advice on making sure it remains safe to drink?

Last edited:
something like Alton Browns Egg Nog Recipe that is really good after aging for a month or more?

something like Alton Browns Egg Nog Recipe that is really good after aging for a month or more?

I'll have to research that one. I am planning on adapting a chocolate wine, and a buttered beere both based on 17th century recipes

One could spend some time looking at Nordic cultures for their numerous fermented dairy products.
Those folks ferment whatever they can get hold of, apparently :D
But, from first hand experience, I would advise avoiding the fermented fish unless one has a seriously strong constitution. Really tough otherwise...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back