Questions about c02 and kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anico4704

Reaction score
I just purchased a used 3 tap kegerator with 3 kegs and all attachments for $350, thought that was a great find, yet I didn't plug it in yet so we'll see.

The question though is about the C02 and the hoses.
1.If I purge the kegs 5 times at 30 psi and set and forget at the regular pressure afterwards, how long generally will a 5 lb c02 tank last, this is outside the fridge?

2.I have a dual gauge regulator, but it sounds like it is still difficult to tell how much is in the tank. Should I just get a spare tank to be safe? Other than not being able to serve the beer when it runs out, is there any other problem when running out.

3.When tightening hose clamps on the tubing (screw kind, worm clamps?), how can I prevent the hose clamps from cutting into the tubing? I always stop just after the clamp start cutting because I don't know how much to tighten it otherwise.

4.When cleaning the beverage lines, if I dont have another keg to connect right away, how do I get the lines clear of water, attach a keg and pump just c02 into it?

Thanks!

I cant answer all of your questions but I can give you some advice on 2 & 4.

2. Yes I would get a spare tank. For me its not easy to fill up every day of the week. If I run out of CO2 on a weekend I am SOL until monday. Usually I have noticed that by the time the pressure on the regulator starts dropping that I am about to run out after a few pulls. Also you should not have a problem if it runs out if you have to wait a day or two as long as your lines are not leaking. Just want to make sure that no Oxygen gets to it.

4. For cleaning my lines and kegs I use an air compressor so I dont waste CO2. I use an extra hose and ball lock to attach to an emtpy keg and put keg cleaner and/or sanitizer in and run it through the lines. I already had an air compressor for my airbrush kit so it was a viable option. You could also do something like this:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/10-tap-line-cleaning-system-182964/
I have seen multiple threads about buying a hand spray pump and modifying it to connect to your beer lines.

1. Somewhere in the 5-6 keg range. If the tank is outside the fridge, you should get a 10lb "backup". Generally, you get a better deal filling them.

2. An extra tank is always good. Nothing bad happens when you "run out" though.

3. You don't have to make them that tight. If the hose is deforming significantly, that is over-tight already.

4. They sell little hand pumps. Honestly though, just use the CO2. It takes very little CO2 to purge a bit of water or cleaner - a few pennies worth. The big volume is all going to carbonating.

Looks like folks have your questions covered. I get about 8 kegs/5lb CO2 pushed and carbed.
If you ever want to know how much gas is left just weigh the tank and subtract the tare weight (I also know how much my regulator set up weighs so I don't have to unhook just to get a measurement).
:mug:

Latest posts

Back