Questions about brew in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeTreyed

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just started brewing about a month ago, my first batch (Irish Red Ale) is in bottles and should be ready for tasting this weekend. I just moved my second batch a Hefeweizen to my secondary today. I took a look at my secondary and what looks like round white patches of bacteria are forming on top of the batch. Is this normal krausen formation or am I getting a bacteria outbreak in my secondary. I cleaned the carboy with PBW and sanitized with StarSan prior to transferring. I could be just getting impatient and need to relax and have a homebrew. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks and hello again,

Trey

Thank you very much for that link comer, flipping through the photos, it looks like it's most likely CO2, my last batch didn't do that at all so it seemed very strange to me. Thank you very much for the help. I didn't think that bacteria would take ahold that fast. :mug:

366-1.jpg

Thats just yeast rafts.

Same thing happened to me the other week. We had a super cold few days and my brew got shocked a bit. after racking into the secondary I assume I stirred up the little dudes and they started working hard again. After the temp in the closet got back up to 69 I actually had a little krausen form and subside a week later.

I was told it was simply that my beer wasnt really ready to move to the secondary. It shouldnt be a problem.

Latest posts

Back