Questioning Priming Rate Calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleMule

Reaction score
I'm rather new at this. I've brewed a half dozen or so batches with no complaints. I've been priming 5 gallons with 3/4 cup of corn sugar as per Charlie Papazian's "New Complete Joy of Homebrewing". But I've since seen discussions about priming rates and used the Bottle Priming Calculator on TastyBrew.com (TastyBrew.com | Homebrewing Calculators | Botting Priming Calculator)to see what I should use to bottle my next batch (which is an ESB). The calculator is telling me to use .5 oz for 5 gallons! That is no where near 3/4 cup. Is an ESB supposed to be that flat? Am I putting in wrong numbers? It's asking what temp I fermented at, which is 70* F. I'm cunfused.:confused:

.5 oz BY WEIGHT

which is almost exactly 3/4 cup by VOLUME

it is always better to measure priming sugar by weight, as it is more accurate with items that can be compacted (same reason we measure hops by weight and not volume)

I hear what you are saying but I have to disagree. 5oz may be "almost exactly 3/4 cup" but, .5oz is a half ounce and that is about an 1/8 of a cup.

Maybe I just don't realize how low the carbination level in a true ESB should be. I recently had an ESB at a local brewpub and it seemed to be carbinated at the same rate as the other beers being served. :confused:

.5 ounce? That's pretty low. I use about 4 ounces per 5 gallons for 2.4 volumes of co2 in a 69 degree beer.

What is the volume of co2 you're trying to reach? ESBs are a bit flat compared to American ales, but not that much. For 1.6 volumes (which is the absolute lowest I'd go- I like bubbles in my beer), I get 2.25 ounces with 70 degree beer in Beersmith.

Wow you guys are replying faster than I can type! :D

Yeah, I want a head on my beer too.

So... 2.25oz on the low end and up to about 4oz on the high end?

Thanks for your help guys!!

Back