Questionable slants? Too much Agar? Solid Cloud...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
16oz water

3.5 tbsp DME

3 tsp. Agar Agar

Boiled for 5 minutes

Pressure cooked @15psi for 15 minutes, allowed to cool for 1 hour.

slants are solid and not runny, they just have this cloud solid located in the center. The same goes for the petri dishes I made...

Think I can still use these? Thank you.

2014-09-24 08.39.08.jpg

it's really much easier to know the percentages if you work by weight, then percentage is g/100ml, as it is with oz and various spoons who knows how much that is... i make autoclaved agar solutions all the time and a little precipitation is not uncommon, but indeed that is quite a bit, if the amounts are ok and it came out of the pressure cooker like that then i would not be concerned, could be break material or a precipitate due to minerals, but obviously if the yeast look weird then chuck them and start over!

slants can have a lil water in them, try putting it fridge. It's kinda like jello. i stopped messing with slants, then did freezing, now i just have 50ml test tubes or mason jars filled with yeast in the fridge. Then i don't have to step the starters up as much.

They look fine, its just hot break material from the pressure cooker. Mine look quite similar. I would probably add less to each slant, I like to have maximum surface area. But I'm sure they will work fine. If its bothering you next time I'd boil up some extract, allow to cool and decant away from the break material then add agar, mix and pressure cook.

slants can have a lil water in them, try putting it fridge. It's kinda like jello. i stopped messing with slants, then did freezing, now i just have 50ml test tubes or mason jars filled with yeast in the fridge. Then i don't have to step the starters up as much.

Can you please provide me a link for the test tubes you are using? Do they stand on their own or need a rack?

yea, they come sterl, and don't stand on their own (unless you stand them on the caps). It's a one time use and I toss them, just for yeast storage. I found it takes a long time to bump up the starter off a slant. Just dump one 50 ml into a 2L flask, split that new yeast with another 2L flask, then bump them both up 2 more times, and you are ready to party.

Latest posts

Back