question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshort4

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to bottle my first batch end of this week. Its an oatmeal stout and there is still some debris (i think oats or grains) floating around...I want to be careful when I bottle not to add oxygen, but does anyone have any ideas on how I can strain out some of the debris? It's been sitting in the secondary almost 2 weeks but does not seem to be dropping to the bottom.

If it's floating, you should be okay, as it will not be picked up until the last of the bottles are being filled, and you should be able to stop filling by then.

I usually leave a couple of ounces in the carboy anyway, as I have too much trub to be that efficient.

If you ask me, you don't need to be careful at all, just let it go in the bottle. If it hasn't hurt the beer now then it won't in the bottle. Grain is something you'd like to avoid boiling, so you can skim it off after you have steeped and before you begin to boil. Maybe it is just a little yeast clump? Anyway it isn't hurting anything.

As a side note, check out this sticky on thread titles: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f22/please-stop-using-ambiguous-thread-titles-66629/

Back