Question- slight fizz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider123

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I usually make beer and cider, but my wife likes red wine. We made a Vino Vida wine kit ( a merlot/cabernet blend) and followed instructions to a T. I even degassed as detailed in the instructions as I have a whip you attach to a drill (for skeeter pee also).

It has only been 3 months in the bottle but we tried it for the first time today. We like it. It has decent flavor for being so green, but...

it has a very slight hint of carbonation in it. It is not overwhelming, but it is there. So I was wondering if it will always be there or will it fade with time. If it will remain can I shake the bottle to release the CO2?

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Keep it cool. It sounds like "live" wine. If you shake the bottle the cork will blow. If you can't keep it cool and want it to age more then a few months then you will probely have to dump it out and let it finnish fermenting and restabalize it. Then re bottle it. Personsly I would just drink it!
My freinds started a winnery and had this happen to them with some peach wine. Tasty but it does not travel well!! While driving the cork slowly worked its way out and leaked all over the car. Good thing we were not pulled over for anything!!! The car shure smelled good:)!

There are two possibilities here- either the wine wasn't degassed adequately (probable), or the wine wasn't/isn't done fermenting.

Keep it cool, because if it warms up the corks may pop out.

Well, I'm thinking it might be the degassing. Although I really had at that wine with the whip before bottling. The finished FG was like .998 I believe, it was definitely within the FG range the instructions listed, if not on the dry side. Oh well, we'll just drink it and enjoy. It will stay in the basement where it is 60-65 throughout the year.

Hey Yooper, Thanks for all the great insight. While I haven't posted much, I have learned a lot from reviewing your posts. Like the Red Green avatar too!

Back