Question regarding sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synap6

Reaction score
I know the traditional way is to take the grain out (mesh bag or not), the placing it in a sieve over the kettle in order to rinse it with the wort and then170• water, slowly.

But i also saw someone taking his grain out of the wort in its mesh bag, then simply teabagging the mesh bag with its content in 170• water already within the kettle, and then adding the wort to that.

The main benefits would be convenience and having to use/dirty less stuff, but What would be the downsides to this technique? Does rerinsing the grain with wort really add anything to the whole process?

I have never done BIAB but I think 6 of one half dozen of the other.. don't think it would make any difference.

I generally don't bother with a sparge. If you're really focused on efficiency, you can probably gain a few points that way. Just reduce your initial volume by a couple gallons, then dunk sparge the bag in another pot with the two gallons at around 170 degrees.

Back