Question regarding blending watered down ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soopagloo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I originally posted this in the beginner's forum, but in retrospect should have posted here.

Late last year I brewed 2 batches of Scotch ale, heavy on the peat smoked malt. I was going for a strong Laphroaig peatyness and hit the smoke flavor just right. Problem is, I had some values wrong in Beersmith resulting in too much water and missed OG by about 10 points. I figured no problem, it'll still come out strong enough for what I was trying to accomplish. What I didn't take in consideration was the loss of the malt backbone. I'd hate to waste the 2 kegs so I was considering brewing a heavy beer with golden promise and a little carapils for mouthfeel and blending 1/3 to make 3 kegs. It seems simple enough, but I'd like some input if I'm missing some important information. Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions.

Back