Question re: higher mash temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatsix

Reaction score
Hi -

I use the brew-in-a-bag / deathbrewer method of stovetop all grain brewing. I am about to brew a beer that I want to have a "chewier" mouthfeel, so I want to mash higher (around 156). I typically raise water to about my desired temp plus 15 degrees to make up for loss due to grain/stirring... which in this case would be 171.

However, I always thought that temperatures 170 and above couldstop conversion, so how am I to achieve a higher mash temp? Is such brief contact at 170-and-beyond OK?

Thanks.

Yes, 170 infusion water is just fine. You can add boiling water (212) for your infusion water and won't hurt anything. The main issue of concern is the rest temperature.

What BBL said.
The problem would be if you added the grain, stirred it and the temp was 170 then. As long as your grain absorbs the right amount of heat your good. Also don't forget to factor in the actual grain temp on brew day.

Latest posts

Back