Question on yeast starter size and OG 1.100

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheEpicT

Reaction score
So I just brewed my Imperial White IPA this weekend and everything went well but the OG ended up being 1.100 which was a littler higher than I expected. I did a yeast starter in a 1000 ml flask but I only did 2 cups of water and 1/2 cup of DME. I then pitched 1 packet of Wyeast 3463 in and gave it 2 days no stir plate just shaking. My question is, is that a big enough starter to get the FG down to 1.024 to 1.019 area and if not what is the best thing to do? Get another starter going and add that in a day or two?

Will it get you down to FG? Yes. Is the starter big enough? No, not even close.

The yeast will reproduce to cell counts large enough to ferment the beer. Not making a proper sized risks slow start, possible off flavors, and possibly a stalled fermentation.

Check mrmalty.com and yeastcalc.com for information on starters.

Mrmalty calls for 2 vials/packs and about 4.8 liters depending on the yeast production date.

At this point I would do nothing unless you don't get proper fermentation. This may take several days to occur. Wait about 10 days then take gravity readings to see if you are at FG.

Edit: On second thought I would get more yeast and make as big a starter that you can and pitch it at high krausen.

Per the the Mr Malty calculator, that's definitely under-pitching. A 1.71 liter starter would be more appropriate. You can add more yeast now but in the future just try to plan better. I'd recommend at least a 2 liter flask for starters. I have some 1 liter flasks too, but they're too small for high gravity beer starters.

When will I know its high krausen? I checked today and I see that its grown a bit but not as much as expected. I should be able to grab yeast either tomorrow or Wednesday. The storm is about to hit here.

TheEpicT said:
When will I know its high krausen? I checked today and I see that its grown a bit but not as much as expected. I should be able to grab yeast either tomorrow or Wednesday. The storm is about to hit here.

I use a stir plate on my starters so they never get much krausen. It can vary from yeast to yeast but in a starter you'll probably see it after about 1.5 to 2.5 days. It's basically when the yeast is most actively fermenting.

I use a stir plate on my starters so they never get much krausen. It can vary from yeast to yeast but in a starter you'll probably see it after about 1.5 to 2.5 days. It's basically when the yeast is most actively fermenting.

Ok wow I am a noob I was talking about my wort in the primary. Ok great thank you!!

Latest posts

Back