Question on water amounts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for the information. I'm guessing you guys don't get too many female brewers?

There are a number of female brewers on this forum, but it is definitely true that the majority are males. You'll bump into some females but we normally don't have a tag denoting our gender so it may be hard to guess at times. :)

Over in the Extract Brewing forum, one can find a nicely enhanced stove top brewing process. This process solves a common complaint with DME: adding DME over boiling water causes it to clump,
  • 5 1/2 gal.water
  • 5 lbs. [...] DME
  • 1/2 lb. 40L crystal malt
  • 2 tsp. [ ... brewing salt ..]
  • [ ... hops ...]
  • [ ... yeast ...]
  1. 2 1/4 lbs. DME dissolved in 1/2 gal. water for late addition
  2. 2 1/4 lbs. DME dissolved in 1 1/2 gal. for the boil
  3. Steep grains in 1/2 gal. of water for 30 min. at 150-160 F
  4. Strain into kettle and bring to boil
  5. 30 min. boil
  6. [ ... hop additions ... ]
  7. Pour into fermenter with late addition and wait 10 minutes
  8. Cool in sink and then top to 5 gal.
Observation: one can make a slurry (small amount of water and DME) then pour that into the wort. No concerns about clumping and the DME slurry won't burn on the bottom of the kettle.

Observation: Steeping in a side pot could help with a shorter brew day when brewing extract plus steeping grains.

Observation: Gypsum and Calcium Chloride can be added to extract-based recipes to enhance flavors. The amounts to get 'best' flavors are specific to the brand (and maybe style) of the extract.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the information. I'm guessing you guys don't get too many female brewers?
@Transamguy77 It's going to take a lot to scare me off. :)
I do understand there are a lot of variables that can be considered. However, on kits there are not many variables that can be changed. So, from that stand point you have a kit with all the items (no more, no less) partial boil or full boil best?
We have completed 3 batches collectively (my husband and I and our friend), all of which have been a learning experience. We also have 5 (5 gallon kits) and a 1 gallon kit (that I plan to do myself) to go. I essentially wanted to know which way would be best for kit brews (partial or full) or if it makes much of a difference.
To those that said read the book, at some point I will, but I currently don't have the time, hence why I came here....:yes:
In terms of equipment, we have an 8 gallon brew kettle, 2 different propane burners and 1 wort chiller that we are hoping to modify to recycle ice water through versus just pumping a bunch of water in the yard or down the drain.
At some point we want to move move to all grain but since we are new to the process decided to start with kits.
Hey I am also a female brewer. I only brewed 3 kits before skipping to all grain. My opinion is what’s great about extract and kits is it’s supposed to be simple so I’d stick with the partial boils on the directions so you can cook it down to pitching temperatures much quicker. There’s no need to spend the time if you don’t need too.

Over in the Extract Brewing forum, one can find a nicely enhanced stove top brewing process. This process solves a common complaint with DME: adding DME over boiling water causes it to clump,
  • 5 1/2 gal.water
  • 5 lbs. [...] DME
  • 1/2 lb. 40L crystal malt
  • 2 tsp. [ ... brewing salt ..]
  • [ ... hops ...]
  • [ ... yeast ...]
  1. 2 1/4 lbs. DME dissolved in 1/2 gal. water for late addition
  2. 2 1/4 lbs. DME dissolved in 1 1/2 gal. for the boil
  3. Steep grains in 1/2 gal. of water for 30 min. at 150-160 F
  4. Strain into kettle and bring to boil
  5. 30 min. boil
  6. [ ... hop additions ... ]
  7. Pour into fermenter with late addition and wait 10 minutes
  8. Cool in sink and then top to 5 gal.
Observation: one can make a slurry (small amount of water and DME) then pour that into the wort. No concerns about clumping and the DME slurry won't burn on the bottom of the kettle.

Observation: Steeping in a side pot could help with a shorter brew day when brewing extract plus steeping grains.

Observation: Gypsum and Calcium Chloride can be added to extract-based recipes to enhance flavors. The amounts to get 'best' flavors are specific to the brand (and maybe style) of the extract.
You can also to turn the burner off then slowly pour it in stirring the whole time once it’s fully dissolved blast it back up to a boil

You can also to turn the burner off then slowly pour it in stirring the whole time once it’s fully dissolved blast it back up to a boil
There are a couple of ways to solve the "DME clumps" problem.

Some are well known, some deserve more attention.

I mentioned the "create a slurry in advance" process (above) as the overall process leads to a shorter brew day. For example: prepare the "end of boil" slurry while the wort is heating to a boil (and the steeping grains are steeping). Towards the end of the boil, pour and stir. No need to turn off/on the heat.

This process solves a common complaint with DME: adding DME over boiling water causes it to clump,
Nice ideas. I might implement some.
My DME does melt after a bit but it's a minor hassle. My biggest gripe was that the steam would cause the powder to solidify before coming out of the bag. I put it in a steel bowl now and dip the steel in the kettle to get it all.

I put it in a steel bowl now and dip the steel in the kettle to get it all.
I've used that approach as well & found that it works.

Over time, what I've found is that with 'fresh' DME, I can do a full boil with all the DME at flame-on and get style appropriate color (see my earlier reply [link] in this topic). So personally, I'm not seeing a need to use 'late additions' to control color; others may have a different perspective (and I'm willing to listen).

@davidabcd : I suspect that stale extract (darker color at the start), transfers to secondary (oxygen ingress), and bottling techniques that add to oxygen ingress are the likely causes of 'the batch came out darker than expected' problem.

Color impacts for transfers to secondary and for bottling have been discussed recently here at HomebrewTalk in other topics. The pictures tend in those topics to "speak for themselves".

The color impact of stale LME is covered in an article at Briess's web site.

I wonder how much stuff is out there as "fact" that just sounded good at the time and then everyone gloms onto it.

It's a fact that a longer boil increases Maillard reactions, which darkens wort color.

There are a couple of BBR podcasts from 2005 (Aug 25, Nov 17) that cover brewing with extract.

One of them has an estimate for how much 'extract' darkens in a 45 min boil.

My 30 min boil 'side experiment' confirmed that number to my satisfaction.

Personally, for the way that I brew with DME, I get expected / estimated color by adding all the DME up front.

Standard disclaimer: YMMV.

... and this is a discussion, so I'm listening.

Amount of darkening during boil: BBR Nov 17, 2005, starting at around @ 48:50.

Summary quote: "Not a huge impact" on color for a 45 minute boil (a specific number is mentioned, I won't repeat it here).
Thinking of trying a concentrated boil? Apparently concentrated boils darken faster. Listen to the two podcasts to get the details.

My biggest gripe was that the steam would cause the powder to solidify before coming out of the bag
. . . and it created a bit of a cloud that settled all over. If you brew on the stove in the kitchen, that is terrible. That's why I do my late addition with DME that has been dissolved in 1/2 gallon of water in a (glass) mixing bowl. It takes care of itself while I do my 30 minute boil. I've started adding my aroma hops at flame out with the late addition. I do partial boils because it's easier: easier to cool down and easier to lift fewer gallons.
Edit: I guess I should note that I don't use kits.

Last edited:
DME that has been dissolved in 1/2 gallon of water
Doing that sounds cool but using the steel bowl solved the powder factor because I could work slowly, eliminating a dust cloud. Clumping in the pot isn't much of an issue for me; it always melts.
I said earlier that I won't do the partial boils because, one, doing an hour makes no difference to me and, two, I'm not going to try and figure out new amounts of hops or anything else based on it.

Doing that sounds cool but using the steel bowl
Sorry, I meant to make the point that dissolving it in a side, unheated bowl (any type) prevents, a cloud of DME.
It's no big deal on figuring hops, if you're willing to think old school HBUs. Boiling hops HBUs are reduced 10% for doing a 30 minute boil and increased 20% for doing a late addition of half the DME. 10% is easy to figure.
On the time note, I'm 78 now, and my time left is short. Also, I found it easier to carry about 2 gallons down to the basement for topping off to 5 gallons.

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant to make the point that dissolving it in a side, unheated bowl (any type) prevents, a cloud of DME.
It's no big deal on figuring hops, if you're willing to think old school HBUs. Boiling hops are reduced 10% for doing a 30 minute boil and increased 20% for doing a late addition of half the DME. 10% is easy to figure.
On the time note, I'm 78 now, and my time left is short. Also, I found it easier to carry about 2 gallons down to the basement for topping off to 5 gallons.
Well, you write like you're 30 so you have that going for you. I wasn't offended or otherwise so no apology needed. If I was terse, my bad.
I enjoy learning and providing the newest of brewers simple info. Beyond that, I'm not that valuable for info as it relates here.
I don't doubt the efficacy/efficiency/genius of all that you propose but I'm only willing to put in X amount of effort. I've got my process zeroed in (even if it's a little wrong) and I get the right color, flavor, IBUs (just read about HBUs, strangely, a few days ago) and carbonation.
But to readdress the one point: how will my putting DME in a steel bowl, carefully (as I do), be any different than any other method? Again, I don't care about clumping because it dissolves fairly quickly.

how will my putting DME in a steel bowl, carefully (as I do), be any different than any other method? Again, I don't care about clumping because it dissolves fairly quickly.
Probably not much. I'd guess you're avoiding the cloud that way too, which is the real reason I wanted to avoid pouring DME into hot wort. I wasn't worried about clumping either. I wanted to do late addition to drop a half hour of boiling time. My late addition isn't to the boil; it's added after the boil. I only started doing the 30 minute boil and late addition this year. It's the only real change in my brewing routine since I started 1994. I am a very casual, old school brewer.

Edit: The difference I see is that if you would dissolve the DME in that bowl before adding it, there is also no clumping with no extra effort. It would also require reducing your wort boil for the 1/2 gallon or so used to dissolve the late addition. However, as a brewer fairly set in his ways, I totally get your reluctance to mess with success. :mug:

Last edited:
only real change in my brewing routine since I started 1994. I am a very casual, old school brewer.
That's awesome. Anecdote: speaking of old school brewers, the guy who gave me my equipment, balked at the idea that I couldn't do lagers at room temp. I'm going to do one, one of these days.
Anyway, I still only do extract/grains which may be obvious.
"Late addition" makes a ton of sense to me though, above in the posts, it's disputed. I don't mind putting most of the DME at the end.; the hops are in the water for how long they need to be, anyway.
I liked the idea of late additions and so I keep doing it.
A regular amount for me is 8# of DME (I don't use LME for various reasons). That just means I know what it takes to melt that iceberg.

For me, late additions are a good option where they add value.

With partial boils, there's less water to heat, less wort to chill, and one can top off with 40F water to help speed cooling the wort. Late additions of DME/LME are a good option.

And there are a number of good techniques to add DME without it being a stick mess.

With regard to troubleshooting darker than expected extract batches, yes, wort darkens during the boil.

But, from what I'm reading/seeing, not enough to be a meaningful difference.
If the the pilsen / extract-light extract starts here
1629372774676.png
due to improper storage,
it's not going to lighten during the boil.

Almost everyone will say to start with AT LEAST 2.5 gallons in your kettle and add the rest later. Or if you have a big enough pot do the entire 5 gallons. Any more I start with 2 gallons of spring water, steep my grains, add my extract, boil, add the hops, then at the end of the boil I take off the heat and add a gallon of COLD water, then use a wort chiller to bring down to 100 degrees or less. Once I chill it down that low, I add another gallon of COLD water to the fermentor and then add the wort to the primary. I then top off with COLD water to bring it to 5 gallons. At this point my wort is usually around 70 degrees or so which is usually about the perfect temperature to pitch your yeast.

The reason I do this is to bring the wort down to temp as fast as possible. My wort chiller is just running cold tap water through it so it doesn't cool it fast....at least not as fast as a gallon of 37 degree water.

People will say that you have to adjust your hops amount to the amount of water, but using an extract kit I have never had an issue with how the beer turns out. I have done 2.5 gallon boils and 5 gallon boils. It always turns out that it takes so long to cool down a full 5 gallons over half that amount.

Latest posts

Back