Question on Valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rl1373

Reaction score
in the process of ordering the stuff to convert a keg into a keggle and looking at valves. I'm not at all concerned with aesthetics. I'm really only concerned with functionality. So whats the difference between brass, stainless 2 piece and stainless 3 piece. I know the difference between the brass and stainless 2 piece is simply material. Is there any benefit of using stainless over brass. I use brass in my MLT with no issue. thanks for the help.

You can completely disassemble a 3 piece valve fairly easily for very thorough cleaning.

The basic benefits of SS over brass (or other materials) are 1) durability 2) ability to use caustic cleaners 3) bling factor.

I'm using a mixture of SS, copper, brass, and aluminum in my rig. I'm using mostly parts I already have on hand, so the cost so far has been minimal. I'd love to build a full SS rig, but I don't think I could justify the cost to my wife, and I bet my ugly ghetto rig will brew some decent beer, but YMMV.

kinda the boat i'm in.. cant really justify the bling factor to the wife. So I'll just stick to brewing good beer on my brew junk.. lol

A 2 piece valve can be dissasembled if you have 2 large wrenches or a large wrench and a vise.

I just did this in about 10 minutes including finding a big wrench and my camera.

2pieceassemble.jpg

BargainFittings said:
A 2 piece valve can be dissasembled if you have 2 large wrenches or a large wrench and a vise.

I just did this in about 10 minutes including finding a big wrench and my camera.

Yet another reason to love Bargain Fittings. Buy everything you can from these guys!

Stainless is pretty much lifetime and it looks cool! I have both 2 and 3 piece valves and have taken apart and cleaned both, IMO I see no noticeable benefit. 3 piece you need small wrenches and 2 piece you need big wrenches

Bargain Fittings has great prices and cheap/really fast shipping.

I have a brass 2-piece, a stainless 2-piece and a stainless 3-piece. Yeah, when it comes down to it, there's not much difference. For all future valves I think I'll go with stainless 2-pieces.

if you have the extra $ get a 3 piece... despite what bargain fittings just posted. 2 piece valves can be a bear to take apart. mind you to took apart a new never used valve. heat it up and cool it a few times and run hot wort through it and it s a different story.

I have a keggle and I soldered in my couplings trying to take apart a 2 piece valve I broke my solder joint loose and had to re-solder it because the 2 piece valve was frozen solid.

-=Jason=-

Back