Question on Pitching yeast vial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacchusmj

Reaction score
First time using a vial of yeast.

After I arate and take my OG sample, I plan to funnel the wort into my Carboy and pitch. Do I simply pour the vial onto the top of the wort? Any need to stir it in or slosh it around?

Thanks.

Take the vile out of the refrigerator 24 hours before pitch. Shake well and pitch on top of aerated wort. If your wort has foam on top you can pitch on that. I have never shaken the wort after pitch but I think some people do. Rember pitch between 70 and 80 degrees. Brew on! :cheers:

you really should be using that vial to make a starter, and pitching the starter into the beer. unless it's a small batch, or a ver blow OG beer (<1.03), one vial isn't enough yeast.

you really should be using that vial to make a starter, and pitching the starter into the beer. unless it's a small batch, or a ver blow OG beer (<1.03), one vial isn't enough yeast.

Too true. I just started making starters and the fermentation goes so much faster. But it still will work just pitching t,he yeast from the vial. There is a sticky for an easy yeast starter under the yeast and fermentation section. You should check it out.

If the OG of the beer is projected to be more than 1.040 or so, it's best to do a starter or use two vials. The package says it's good up to 1.060 or so, but in my experience it's hard to get super fresh yeast that hasn't lost some viability in shipping.

In any case, pitch your yeast when the wort is cooled and after aerating the wort. I like to pitch at 60 degrees and let the temperature increase up to 65 during fermentation, but you should be ok if you pitch at 70 degrees or less.

Take the vial out of the fridge about an hour before you need it, and give it a shake to suspend all of the yeast. After that, open it VERY slowly. First just crack it open to let out the "hiss" and then open it the rest of the way and pour it in the wort. Don't stir or shake, just cover it with the airlock and leave it be.

If you shake the vial, and then open it, there will be yeast on your walls and ceiling but none left in the vial to use. (Ask me how I know this. :drunk:)

If you shake the vial, and then open it, there will be yeast on your walls and ceiling but none left in the vial to use. (Ask me how I know this. :drunk:)[/QUOTE]

Sounds like it could be a good story!

Back